Search

Waimea Canyon advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
pjv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waimea Canyon advice needed

My new husband and I will be in Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon at the end of April. I had some concerns about the drive into Waimea Canyon. How are the roads there? Steep and winding? Are there any sharp drop offs, which is my biggest fear? We are mid 50's and I do most of the driving. Should we get a tour for this, which only makes one stop at Waimea Canyon Lookout, or can I do this fairly easily? I am a very good driver, however mountains scare me a little.
How is the road further up to the Koke'e museum?
How much time should we allow for this, with no major hiking involved?
We already booked a van tour to Hana while in Maui--wanted to relax and enjoy the view.
Thanks for any help.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
sharij5

The drive isn't scary, it is just up hill. If memory serves me correctly, it took us about two hours to go up and back. If I were to do it again, I would take a helicopter.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM

Easy, beautiful drive. Not to be missed! There are several places to stop and admire the view - all well marked. Do not take a tour. Two hours sounds about right with no hiking...
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM

Although the drive to Waimea Canyon is a 2-lane road, there is ample room on each side of the roadway for safety.

The good news is, we've had very, very few collisions on that road due to the posted speed limit being at just 25-30mph

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM

Where is Waimea Canyon? We only have two full days in Maui. Should we spend one on Hana "and" one in Waimea Canyon? We want to snorkel and hike the seven falls (bamboo forest) on the road to hana.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM

Mike_b
Waimea Canyon is on Kauai so you won't be missing anything - well you will but you'll be on Maui so that's OK too
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM

Percy,
That solves that problem.

Since our time is so limited in Maui (2.5 days) do you think we have time for:
A day on the road to hana
A day driving up to the Crater and doing the canopy adventure
Do you think we are using up too much time that we should be spending snorkling or anything else you might suggest?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:26 AM

With just 2.5 days, I wouldn't do the road to Hana. Nice drives you might consider are Upcountry to Haleakala, up the northwest coast of Maui, and into the Iao Valley - shorter and less nerve-wracking than the all day (lovely but exhausting) trip to Hana. Do that another trip when you have more time. You'll need some time to just relax and enjoy Maui...
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM
pjv
Original Poster

Thanks to those who replied to my message. I feel confident of doing the drive now. We plan on getting there in the morning when the views are best and see as much of the canyon as we can. In the afternoon we plan on a NaPali coast boat tour. Can't wait for the trip!!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:18 AM
iceeu2

When will you be there pjv? Hope it's on May 27th so you can come to the Kauai GTG.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Just jumpin in. Is a compact car okay for driving to Waimea Canyon? If not I'll need to upgrade my reservation.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM

A compact car will be fine.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:42 PM

When my husband and I went to Kauai..May 2003, it was VERY foggy when we went to Waimea Canyon..so you could not see anything which disappointed me..so check the weather when you plan to go there.If it is nice go early and maybe you will have a better view.
Other points of interest would be:

North Shore
Kee'Beach ( at the end of the highway)is great for snorkeling but also go early one day as it gets crowded.

Queens Bath in Princeville..it is a natural pool..it is a little bit of a hike to get there though.

Secrets Beach is beautiful but also a little hike to get there.

South Shore
Spouting Horn is neat..its a lava tube that the ocean shoots up through into the air.

Also Wailea Falls is really beautiful..I think that it was near Waimea Canyon or on the way there.If you remember the 70s show "Fantasy Island"..it is the waterfall that they showed at the beginning of the show.I took the most beautiful pictures of it.I think Kauai is the most beautiful place and I bet that scenery wise..you will like it better than Maui.Have fun!!