Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to drive up to Waimea Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible to start our drive to Waimea Canyon sometime after 12noon, and be back in time for our flight out of Kauai at 11:09pm? (without rushing the Waimea Canyon visit) We are staying in Kihei.

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Kal

I thought Kihei was on Maui? :-?

As for the drive, it sometimes depends on the weather. Rain can make it difficult and if it's raining you may want to go to Plan B then because the views may be blocked out due to the clouds.

Very winding road and it can be slick if some mud comes over into a lane.

Are you just stopping at the Waimea Outlook or going all the way to the end, Kalalau/Puu o? If you plan on going to the end, add more time.

You may want to drive up Waimea Canyon Rd vs Kokee Rd (550 thru Kekaha). Seems to me it was quicker and not as winding.
If your flight leaves LIH at 11pm you'll probably have to be there at least 90 mins early to return your car and check in...traffic back from the West Side shouldn't be too bad..unless again, depending on the weather.

We were caught in one rainstorm coming back from "The Brick" one night and I was slowed to 25-30 mph at times..even with my wipers on full speed. Scary!

Mahalo,
Kal 123!!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM

I think you will be OK and see some great scenery by driving there and stopping at the roadside lookouts, as long as you don't plan on doing any long hikes.

I personally would want to be returning back from Waimea Canyon before darkness falls.

A different scenic route would be to just drive north from LIH past Princeville & Hanalei to where the road ends at Kee Beach for impressive mountain and ocean views.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I have seen the canyon clear as a bell in the morning but completely socked in by clouds by noon. So you might want to get there earlier.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM

We go up to Kokee a few times a year -- and those danged clouds at the Kalalau Lookout have their own schedule. Sometimes we get clear, clear morning views and cloudy afternoons. Sometimes we get cloudy mornings and sparkling afternoon views. No matter -- the views from the road as you go up the hill from Waimea, are well worth the drive.

You can easily make the roundtrip drive from Waimea to the Kalalau Lookout in a couple of hours, with a few short stops for oooooohing and ahhhhhhhing along the way.

As has been noted by others, be sure to start downhill _well_ before sunset.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Oops, we are staying in Poipu Beach (but we'll be in Kihei when in Maui! Got my cities confused!)

Thanks Kal, JohnD, Postal and auntiemaria - your input is very helpful and much appreciated! We'll keep an eye out on the weather and play it by ear!

jmoy
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Oh, we're probably only going up to the Waimea outlook and turn back. Although if we're able leave earlier in the morning, then we can include the Kalalau lookout. 'Hope the weather cooperates!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:53 AM

We went up the canyon at 12pm exactly (we had lunch at 11am at the pizza place nearby), with a few stops and oohing and ahing, we made it all the way to the last look out point (and it was such a wonderful clear day, so time of day does vary), to the bottom in exactly 2 hours.

I think you will have plenty of time.

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Amelie, thanks, 'great to know that you were able to do the trip in 2 hours in good weather. What is the name of the last lookout point you went to?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Pu'u o kila lookout. I heard sometimes it's closed, but you can walk to it from the one before it. When we were there, the road was open though and we could park up there (they have a big parking area).

It's beautiful, you can see the NaPali coastline.

Have fun!

amelie
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Amelie! We are so excited!