Wailea or Ka'anapali

Search

Wailea or Ka'anapali

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wailea or Ka'anapali

We have never been to Hawaii before so we decided we had to splurge and go there on our honeymoon this Sept. We are staying 2 nights in Oahu and 6 nights in Maui.

We would love to know more info on Wailea vs. Ka'anapali. What are the beaches like? What about different activities, sightseeing, restuarants, etc. Where would you recommend we stay that is more geared towards adults.

Right now we have a quote for the Hyatt Resort and Spa and the Wailea Marriott Outrigger. Does anyone know anything about either hotel? Is there other hotels you can suggest. We are on budget so we can't afford the 4 Seasons or the Fairmont, anything else that has a spa, nice hotel, great beach, adult atmosphere, great service that is afforable.

Thank so much for your help. We want to make this the best honeymoon so we are trying to do as much research as possible.

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM

I've stayed at the Hyatt Maui in Ka'anapali. It's an excellent hotel with a luxurious spa (I highly recommend the couples massage for your honeymoon!). We stayed in an ocean front room, which overlooked the pool and the ocean-- it was lovely. We didn't see a large amount of kids at this hotel. I definitely recommend the Hyatt.

In terms of Wailea vs. Ka'anapali... they're both very nice (and popular) places to stay. You can find plenty of shopping and dining in both cities and both areas have good beaches. Ka'anapali is closer to Lahaina, which can be convenient (since you'll probably be going there to eat, shop and for any boat trips you take).

Either hotel is a nice choice for a honeymoon. Good luck!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Wailea is much more higer-end. More luxury and just a richer feeling.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM

I stayed at the Outrigger before it was taken over by Marriott, and we enjoyed it immensely! Beautiful surroundings, very nice accomodations, and good food. I would go back there in a heartbeat!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM

BTW, no beach at the Outrigger, but nice quiet beach with good snorkeling not far down the road. Sorry I can't remember the name!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:03 PM

This is a frequent topic on these boards. We are going on our first trip in March. I chose the Wailea area because my husband does not like cities or crowds. From what I have read here, in tour books and heard from friends who have been to Maui, Wailea is less like an overdeveloped strip along a beach than Kaanapali. I am sure we will go to Kaanapali and Lahaina to shop, eat and explore, but we mostly want to explore great beaches which are in abundance in South Maui and relax. I considered Wailea Marriott, but chose the Renaissance which is next door. It is actually on a beach and with entertainment card we got a great rate in the Mokapu wing which is beach front. It also includes breakfast buffet for 2 every day. We really like to be close to sound of surf! The Mokapu is only a 2 story building - we don't really like high rises. I also got a better rate here than at the one I was quoted for oceanfront at Outrigger/Marriott Wailea! I also think the Renaissance is less likely to attract kids because they have small pools. So if fancy pools are important to you, it is probably not hotel for you. We are spending our last 2 nights on Maui in Hana! I will be happy to share our actual experiences when we get back. Good luck planning!