Help with Maui Accomodation

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Help with Maui Accomodation

Hi there!
I am thinking about going to Maui in February with my husband but am having trouble deciding on a hotel to stay at. I would love opinions on these hotels:
Wailea Marriott;
Sheraton Maui;
Hyatt Regency Maui.

We bascically want to chill out & relax somewhere that has great amenities, clean & decent rooms & is priced well for what you are paying for. (Make sense??)

Anyway, any help would be great!

Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:50 AM
dsg56

We stayed at the Sheraton and loved the location. Everyone friendly. i would say the location makes the hotel, because the rates are pretty high. have heard you can get a better rate by bidding thru priceline. we were in a deluxe ocean front. room was nice but not very large or opulent. grounds were very well kept, pool is great. not a lot of kids, which we liked since we were on a 2nd honeymoon trip. when we go back we'll consider there again. however, friends have stayed at the noelani condo farther north and raved about it ($110/nt). not a resort, but for the price dif, you might want to consider.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:52 AM
dsg56

p.s. go to the sheraton-maui.com website and click on webcam, live pics looking at the pool/kaanapali beach

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:46 AM

I can only speak for Hyatt. We stayed there last April and loved it. No complaints. They upgraded us from mountain view to ocean view for $50.00 per night about half way into our stay. (at our request) We walked down to Sheraton and it looks good too. Their location seems to be closer to where the action is. (Whaler Village, restaurants, shopping, etc.) Both are pretty expensive but I have seen Sheraton go for $140-$175 on priceline for mountainview. (check our biddingfortravel.com) You might also want to consider the beach erosion problem in front of Hyatt area. Search here for more information.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM

I stayed at the Wailea Marriott in September and loved it. We splurged on a deluxe oceanfront room and were literally right on the water. We heard from other guests that their views were also great- often more than they expected. The grounds are very spread out and peaceful. There is no beach directly in front- the resort sits on a rocky ledge- but they are on either side, not a problem. We loved Wailea for its seclusion and we liked the smaller beaches vs. the large stretch at Kaanapali. It depends what you are looking for- if you want more action than I'd stay at the Hyatt or Sheraton. If you want more seclusion, less kids, etc then I'd stay in Wailea.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:18 AM

Hey there - I've stayed at the Hyatt a # of times the most recent being this past Oct. (haven't stayed at the Sheraton). We walked up & down the strip of hotels betw. the Hyatt & The Sheraton a # of times and both agreed that the Hyatt had the nicest grounds. True about the beach erosion, but we spent more of our time driving to particular beaches we really liked and walked down to Black Rock by the Sheraton a # of times to snorkel). We walked thru the Sheraton just to see what it was 1 afternoon and it actually seemed desolate. Maybe everyone was at the pool?!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:19 AM

My husband and I stayed at both the Hyatt and the Sheraton this past August.

We thought both properties were fantastic; however, we felt that the Hyatt was much nicer. The grounds and pool area are beautiful, nice spa and oceanfront workout area, great restaurants, the rooms have a nice Hawaiian feel, and the beds are extremely comfortable.

We booked the Sheraton portion of our stay through Priceline, for only $140 per night. For overall value, that rate at the Sheraton would be my choice. However, if I had the choice between the two resorts and price was not much of an issue, I would choose the Hyatt.

That said, I have no complaints about the Sheraton. The service there was wonderful. The beach area is much larger than that at the Hyatt, so if you are beach people, you may prefer the Sheraton. The food options at the Sheraton were not great; however, you are a very short walk to Whaler's Village, where there are many restaurants to choose from.

Our rooms were upgraded at both properties, and both were completely sold out during our stay. It helps if you are a member of the hotel's reward program, so I recommend signing up if you are not already a member.

Good luck, it's a tough decision that I had trouble with too!! You can't go wrong with either of these resorts.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Please see the Maui Trip Report that I posted earlier today regarding our stay last week at the Westin Maui. The Sheraton is a sister property and you could use the pool at Westin and enjoy beach at Sheraton. We looked at the Hyatt and it looked very lovely. We did not see a room, but the lobby, pools and beach looked gorgeous. We considered the Wailea Marriott on the recommendation of a friend. We preferred the Kaanapali location so that we could walk more places. Enjoy your trip!