Search

Wailea Nights

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wailea Nights

Has anyone been to Wailea Nights at Mulligan's? I saw an ad for it - "Three course dinner show". Paul Gilliom and Barry Flanagan are the featured performers.

Here Today - I know you follow the Maui music scene. What say you?
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Oops! I meant Eric Gilliom. The menu looks interesting!
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Eric is sweetheart and a fantastic entertainer. Together with Barry they are phenomenal. The food is quite good as well, and it is real steal for $30 a head?dinner and a show!

Right now the show is on Sunday and Tuesday nights at Mulligans (best pint o'Guiness on Maui!), but, because it has become so popular, there are plans to move the show from Mulligans to a vacant restaurant at one of the resorts. I forget where, but it will still be same ono food, same show, but more room.

I have a pdf file of the menu/program if you'd like to see it.

I think it is the second best entertainment value on the island, with a visit to Uncle Richard's pig farm still holding top honors.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh, my! You've opened a can of worms! Do tell about Uncle Richard's pig farm as it sounds like a "must do"!
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM

LOL, it's just a small pig farm. But pigs can be real characters. Some of the pigs are more like Arnold Ziffle than tomorrow's dinner! And they "sing along" when Uncle Richard plays his `ukulele.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:27 PM

And opps, Wailea Nights is Tuesday and Friday. Sunday is Celtic Tigers Night at Mulligans.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Here Today -

I was able to make reservations for Wailea Nights online. Thanks for the recommendation! Tell me a little about the entertainment - okay for older children who LOVE music? Mike said we could arrive anytime between 5:30 and 7:00 which makes me wonder when to go.

Is the pig farm open to the public? Where is it located?

Mahalo
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:53 AM

The pigs live upcountry. It is not on any tour right now. I will suggest it to Uncle. LOL

I think the show starts at 8, dinner is served before. Earlier arrival would get you better seats, I am sure, but then you havee the bored kid thing to contend with between the meal and the show. Mulligan's is very small and there are no bad seats. It is very intimate. The kids should like it, particularly if they would be interested in hearing songs performed in Hawaiian language.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Update on pricing. I just called Mullligan's. Your post made me curious and interested! The new price is $50 and includes a 3 course meal. Children under 12 are offered a discount and a children's menu. The office manager there was extremely helpful and was thrilled to hear that Wailea Nights was being discussed on this message board.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Wendy, was this price in effect now, or for a later date? I had just heard yesterday that the price was now $35. But even for $50, it is still a very good value, considering you are seeing two of Maui's very finest entertainers and genuinely nice guys AND getting a full dinner.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:55 PM

When I called this morning, I asked what the $35 ticket price (as mentioned on the Mulligan's web site) included. I did not give a date at that point. I was told that the web site was wrong and that the ticket price was going up to $50. She didn't say when it was going up though.
I agree that it sounds like a value even at the new price. You mention that they sing songs in the Hawaiian language. Would you classify their music as Hawaiian music (ethic/ folk?) or something else? I am trying to decide if an 11 yr old and a 16 yr old would enjoy this. I know I would
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:32 AM

Yes, I talked to Kevin tonight, one of the owners of Mulligans and asked him about it. He confirmed the price increase. Cie la vie.

The music is contemporary. They do a lot of original compositions, in both English and Hawaiian, as well as some some traditional music, perhaps a chant. Barry plays a mean slack key guitar, so expect a good sampling of his talents. It is an acoustic set, but Eric knows how to rock, and a lot of that comes through. They are both great entertainers. I am sure the kids would like it very much.