Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki with kiddies at Xmas- must do's!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Mary

Have printed out the famous Oahu Cheap Eats thread off this site and have the bags mentally packed and the Christmas gifts sent off. We are heading to Hawaii in three weeks with two daughters in tow, ages 5 and 8. We are spending the first 5 nights of our trip on Oahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. While we are seasoned Hawaii visitors this will be our first trip to Oahu. We are not planning on renting a car and will be back on Oahu in January for a week on the Northshore (hubby really wants to see and experience the big surf.) What we're looking for is a fun, rather touristy experience in Waikiki and Honolulu that the kids will enjoy. (Then we'll be off to the Big Island and South Kona for a much mellower and low-key Christmas holiday.) So, you experts and locals out there, what are your fun recommendations for our five days. I would love to know of any holiday concerts or performances. Kitsch is fine. A little shopping for stocking stuffers and aloha shirts might fit in. What would your intinerary be. Thanks for your input!

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 01:54 PM
jt

Most xmas events preceed the holiday week: http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/odec.htm

Check http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/moca/calendar/ early next month. HHV has nice program of daily afternoon choral concerts and xmas shows by visiting schools but maybe over by then.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
Melissa

The shopping centers (Ala Moana, Royal Hawaiian, Kahala Mall) usually have ongoing Christmas activities. One popular event is Santa's Light Parade at Ala Moana Center, which used to be every night....not sure if it is still....and this cute train that rides kids around the mall.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:58 AM
SG

There is a shopping gallery on the main strip with a walk-through aquarium also another aquarium at the Pacific Beach Hotel. At noon at the zoo you can feed the elephants. Fridays are the torch lighting ceremonies. Ala Moana mall usually has a kiddie train.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:03 PM
xxx

We were there in Aug 2001 with our 11 and 8 year olds. They took surfing lessons and had a great time. We too stayed at the Hilton which offers lessons,but they were booked that day. They sent us down to a beach across from the Hyatt for lessons, which were much cheaper. The walk to the Hyatt is about 10-15 min. Our kids had a blast. Give it a try.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Dianne

Take the kids to Sea Life Park - you can get there on "The Bus". It's a lot of fun! There's also the Zoo & Aquarium. There were some kids at Germaines Luau the last time I went, but I wouldn't recommend it. A whole day trip would be Polynesian cultural center.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Mary

Thanks for all of the great info. Does anyone have ideas for inexpensive eating within walking distance of the HHV? Also, is it worth going to the Int'l Marketplace? Thought Santa might be able to do a little shopping for Christmas stockings. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:14 PM
jt

Walk to the huge food court at Ala Moana shopping ctr. No need to use the crowded bus; walking via beach/marina more scenic than the road.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Cathy

Mary,
I am not sure when you are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but just in case, FYI, the Beach Boys (Mike Love & Bruce Johnston) are performing on Dec 31 (exclusively for Hilton guests).

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=BEACHB&Date_From=Today&Date_T o=12-31-2002&By=Artist&PSKey=Y&StartSearch.x=9&StartSearch .y=11

Cathy

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:11 PM
inchy

The international marketplace is great for getting those Hawaiian tourist goodies. Prices are very good now too, as tourism has been down. Much cheaper than in years past. I just got back and that was my impression. You can really bargain with those people - lots of Hawaiian shirts, trinkets, purses, etc. Neat to look through - I never came away empty handed. Also get it pretty much tax free if you pay cash.
As for cheap eats, check the Oahu Gold, "This Week in Oahu" or similar tourist magazines when you get there. There always seems to be a good deal or two in those. I'm not usually the type to use them, but we did this last time and the food was great and a great deal.
My favorite was the Big Island Steak House in the Aloha Towers MarketPlace. Not really cheap, but when you want a good, solid meal - it's terrific. Skip the desserts though.
Hope this helps.