Search

Waikiki safety

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waikiki safety

Is it safe to walk around the Waikiki area in the evening? I would think that with all the hotels, it would be very populated and therefore fairly safe . . .but are there any specific areas to avoid? For example, if I want to go from the Halekulani down to the Moana Surfrider, can I walk or should I take a cab? Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:22 PM

We stayed in the Waikiki area last March. I never felt danger anywhere we were. I had been told not to walk some of the isolated beaches at night. However, I never saw anything that made me blink twice. As always, drunken tourists were the scariest things I saw.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 06:03 AM

We were in Waikiki in December and walked around every night until probably about 11:00 and had no problems whatsoever. There are a ton of people walking around and it was wonderful in the evening. Have a great time!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Kuhio Avenue, just beyond Aqua Bamboo and Radisson hotels had a lot of hookers standing around. No big deal, but was not an area I would be too keen on hanging around. But no reason why you would walk down there late at night unless in nearby hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM

The area around central Waikiki is very safe. You won't have any problem walking from the Halekulani to the Surfrider. It is a short, well lit, heavily populated walk between the two hotels.

Have a good trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:33 PM

I would stay off the darker beaches at the begininng of waikiki. We had a very late flight out one time. We kept our luggage in storage at the hotel we had been staying at, then walked around. We saw a few hookers as were mentioned above, but I got kinda freaked out by a junkie type we encountered in a beach walk area. Just use common sense, stay where it is well lit and populated and should be no worries! The atmosphere most nights is that of a big party, tons of happy tourists shopping, dining etc...
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:52 PM

As most others have said, just don't be roaming around off the beaten path late at night and you will be fine. I have been to Honolulu several times and never had the slightest problem.
Just use your head.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM

Could you be more specific as to where you saw the hookers ?
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:37 AM

I believe that the police regularly round up the prostitutes and cause them to move around within Waikiki. The prostitutes don't pose any kind of threat to passersby. Overall Waikiki seems quite well-policed and is extremely safe. Restaurants and shops stay open very late and as has been said there are loads of people walking about. No need for a cab for the trip from the Halekulani to the Moana. Many of the hotels have lighting that shines onto the beach area as well, so it is lit, though not brightly. You can see the surf and I have found it safe to walk on these beach areas in the evening.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:40 AM

I believe that the police regularly round up the prostitutes and cause them to move around within Waikiki. The prostitutes don't pose any kind of threat to passersby. Overall Waikiki seems quite well-policed and is extremely safe. Restaurants and shops stay open very late and as has been said there are loads of people walking about. No need for a cab for the trip from the Halekulani to the Moana. Many of the hotels have lighting that shines onto the beach area as well, so it is lit, though not brightly. For example, the outdoor bar at the Moana, the Banyan Terrace, has lighting toward the beach. You can sit and watch the surf, and I have found it safe to walk on these beach areas in the evening.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Totally safe - but just don't be stupid as in any tourist area. You can walk anywhere Ohau is very tourist oriented - I would not be giving the same advice if you were going to the Big Island!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Longman, Is the big island sketchy at night? ...never been to that particular island but want to give it a try. Please advise.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Is it safe to go hiking alone for a female at Black Diamond? What about hanging out at the beach? I am going to Honolulu with my hubby on a business trip for 4 days and looking at what to do by myself during the day while he is working.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Hiking Diamond Head alone might not be a great idea unless you'll be carrying a cell phone. The beach shouldn't be a problem. Just don't bring any valuables with you. Ala Moana Shopping Center is pretty close to Waikiki, so if you like to shop, you'll probably end up spending lots of time there.

You can also take surfing lessons at the beach, walk thru the Honolulu Zoo and the Aquarium which is at the end of Waikiki. There's also shuttles to and from Waikiki to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays.

Aloha!