Reload this Page >

Where to stay one night in Oahu!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:44 PM
susan

My husband and I are flying to Honolulu from NY and will arrive Honolulu at 8pm. we will fly to Maui the next day at around 4:30pm. Should be stay at an airport hotel or somewhere else. We are definitely interested in doing some sightseeing in the short time we are there. Thanks for your help everyone!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
dcp

Not sure of your budget but the Renessaince Waikiki is one suggestion. We had about the same time / layover and booked the room via Priceline for approximately $100. It had a partial ocean view and the hotel is only 100 yards (approx.) from the beach. The only down side is that it is at the very far end of Waikiki Beach and away from the real action / nightlife. We landed a little earlier than you and managed all of the following: swim at Waikiki Beach, tour the USS Arizona, & hiked up Diamond Head. Enjoy!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:33 PM
susan

Thanks for your reply. How far is Waiikiki from airport.Would another location be more conveniant.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
scigirl

The hotels near the HNL airport are pretty skanky. The cab ride into Waikiki will take 20-30 minutes depending on traffic, and cost $25-35 USD. Waikiki is a better choice than staying near the airport - you'll be able to go out, walk around, dip your toes in the ocean, etc. Loads of hotels to chose from in Waikiki.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
aaa

There are only two airport hotels and I would not stay there unless your sole plan is to rest/sleep until your next flight, as it's an industrial area, bordering the freeway, with nothing to do within walking distance. If you arrive at HNL 8pm there will be no traffic going into Waikiki (except perhaps friday evenings) so the taxi fare shouldn't be too bad. Definitely stay in Waikiki -- there are tons of hotels from 1star to 5star to choose from.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
dcp

Again, not sure of your budget (not trying to pry) but I would encourage you to rent a car. I rented a car through Avis (I believe) and got a weekly rate that I was able to use when moving from Oahu to Big Island. The rental car only cost me about $30 bucks for the day (weekly rate) and was able to do a fair amount of site-seeing.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Carley

We just had the same situation as you, flying from Toronto to Oahu. Our flight got in at 10:30. We actually got a shuttle from the airport but wouldn't do that again. It wasn't much cheaper than a taxi and took so much longer as we were the last hotel on the route. Live and learn. We stayed at the Ohana Reef Lanai on Saratoga Street. It was a very small hotel but was very clean and central to most sights of Waikiki. Only a block to the beach. We also got a continental breakfast (coffee, huge muffin and juice) with our rate of $70.00 They were very nice and gave us a late checkout (no charge) as we also were flying out later in the day to Kauai. It looked as though they had just redone the room as everything seemed new. It even had a small refrigerator. Nest year when we go we will definitely stay there but will ask for a room in the back as it was quite noisey facing the street. I think you can use the facilities of the Reef Hotel on the beach also. If you go the the Ohana Hotels website you will find it along with their other hotels listed and special rates they have. We didn't want to pay a fortune just to spend the night and this was perfect for us. We had stayed at another of their hotels the last time we went and were happy with it also. Hope this helps.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:03 PM
Dave

Definitely go into Waikiki. Halekulani is a wonderful place, right on the beach, but pricey (though worth it). Better choice for the money, and given your schedule, is the Waikiki Parc, right across the street from and managed by the Halekulani, and half the price. Quick walk to the beach, and all of Waikiki. Walk the beach. Take an outrigger canoe ride (lots of vendors on the beach) - about $5 per person to ride a few waves and get a great view of Waikiki from the ocean. Eat breakfast at the halekulani's House without a Key open air restaurant on the beach.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:31 AM
xxxx

Waikiki is not everyone's cup of tea but since you will want to make the best of it. I suggest splurging and staying in one of the better older hotels like the Moana or Royal Hawaiian. Must cut back on money than go to the Ilikai and stay in the main building. I don't like the hotels off the beach many attract a seedy clientele never mind you will bombarded with ABC and other junk stores, car exhaust.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
nyc

Susan:

I second the Halekulani recommendation. If your budget allows, I would recommend booking an ocean view room. Since you'll be coming from NY, you will get up very early. Arrange to have a room service Japanese breakfast served on your lanai (terrace) and watch the sunrise over the ocean. Then go down and take a stroll on Waikiki Beach, which is virtually deserted in the early mornings, except for a few surfers. The hotel is very accomodating, so arrange to take a later checkout. Spend the rest of the time lounging by the Orchid Pool (which is heated), and having cocktails served to you by the attentive staff. The hotel is about 1/2 hour by cab from the airport.

The previous posts are correct about the airport hotels, not really worth it. If you are budget conscious, stay overnight at an airport hotel and book a morning flight to Maui, since you will still be on East Coast time.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
susuan

What a great help you have been. I think I will go for one of the better hotels in order to experience what Waikiki is about. Thanks
Susan

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:39 PM
jon

splurge and stay at the cool historic places on waikiki that sit right on the center of the main beach. i think one of them is the newly restored ohana-surfrider. Best outdoor bar on the beach.