Search

Waikiki locations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Waikiki locations

Returned last night from Waikiki. This is not so much a trip report, but a few handy locations I managed to find. I was staying near Fort DeRussy part of town.

STORES/SERVICES

Food Pantry grocery store is at the corner of Kuhio and Walina (has much larger selection but prices were cheaper at the everpresent ABC stores)

Great bakery called Saint Germain nearby on Kuhio near Seaside

Main post office is on Saratoga Road, fairly major bus stop in front

High speed internet cafe just in off the beach at the Waikiki Shores hotel building

Serenity Spa at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

FOOD/RESTAURANTS

Lewers Street Loft & Lanai excellent authentic plate lunches $7 in the 220 block on Lewers. breakfasts $3-5 (the staff from nearby hotels gets meal tickets for this place which i took as a good recommendation and it was)

Henry's Place fresh fruit shop on Beach Walk $3.50 for heaping to-go bowls of fresh pineapple, papaya, or mixed fruits

Buzz's Steak & Lobster Restaurant & Lounge 225 Saratoga. great 70's style salad bar steak house. good food, reasonable prices, pleasant lack of 'attitude' (you'll understand what I mean after eating out around Waikiki for a few evenings!).

Sushikoh sushi & seafood, Yabusoba japanese nodle restaurant, and Arancino pizza & pasta - 3 small popular trendy but fun places in a row on Beach Walk
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

TOURS/ENTERTAINMENT

Doris Duke Shangri La. Tour of her Honolulu estate thru the Honolulu Academy of the Arts. $25 advanced reservations required. Small groups tour this ecentric and interesting property.

Free hula show in the early evening at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center. Dancers from Polynesian Cultural Arts Center. Also around sunset a local man runs and lights all the torches lining the main street.

For the price of a drink the Sheraton Waikiki, Sand Bar has live music at sunset. Beautiful open setting.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM
dcespedes

Hi suze, glad you enjoyed a nice trip and got to see the Doris Duke mansion! It's unfortunate my girlfriend and I missed out on that, however, we did not miss out on the Sand Bar definitely worth the price of admission ;-)

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

My impression of Honolulu is of a complex, extremely interesting and unusual city. Hopefully other can use these addresses or add their own tips about finding your way around. Even on a fun in the sun kind of vacation, there is a rich culture that goes far deeper than main stream tourist high-rise hotels on the strip.

I realize I barely scratched the surface.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the St. Germain bakeries. My favorites are the savory pastries - such as the ham rolls and curry pies.

Unfortunately, several branches have closed in the past few years - I wasn't aware there was one in Waikiki.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmm, I always like St. Germain sandwich bread! Ham rolls are also a winner. But, we digress. Suze, I'm glad you discovered some wonderful nooks & crannies on wonderful Oahu, even in the midst of busy Waikiki. That's why I love living here!