Search

W 220th Street NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W 220th Street NYC

DH is having surgery at the Allen Hospital of NY Presbyterian on W 220th Street. What can anyone tell me about this area of the city?

I will have to take the 1 train to 215th and then walk 5 blocks on Broadway to the hospital. Is the train and walking through this area safe to do alone? Looking at the satellite map, it appears to be mostly car dealers/lots.

Going to the main hospital on 168th was quite easy and comfortable, but his doctor is now at the new spine center recently opened there and I'm a bit concerned both about the area and hospital itself.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Absolutely no worries walking there.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Is the train station also okay?
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:36 AM

You will be fine. I mean I would not go dangling lots of gold jewelry, but I would not do that anyplace on the train. (not that I do that anytime but for others...) If I was going late at night,like midnight or later, I would take an Uber or Via or taxi back to my house or hotel. But again, I would not worry. Remember, any station near a hospital is going to have workers coming back and forth all the time.

Where will you be staying?
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

No where exciting, but fits the situation. Travel should be during the day.

Night before surgery and day of, will stay in a guest room at NY Presbyterian on 181st. Will take cab with DH up for surgery. Depending on time, probably train back.

Friday and Saturday, if necessary, will stay at Club Quarters on 45th Street.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:52 PM

I wish you both well. Please do not worry about the transport. And you can verify this by talking to the staff when you first get to the hospital. Again, best wishes to you both.
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Getting back to you, ekscrunchy, to thank you for your accurate advise about getting to hospital on 220th St.

It will be 8 weeks this Thursday since my DH had his surgery. 9 hours! Yikes!

Took a cab to the hospital the first morning with husband and then back to 168 St that night because it was late. I had planned to take the 1 train because it was closer to hospital, but one of the nurses convinced me to take the A which really was much better. Never felt the least bit uncomfortable either walking or on train. Guess the photos of the car and train lots east of Broadway had me a bit nervous, but nothing to it. Even walked across the bridge to check out where the 1 train station was on the other side of the Harlem River.

Thank you for helping to put me at ease in a new situation.