NYC Subway Question

Feb 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

NYC Subway Question

According to the maps I've seen, the only subway train that goes between Penn Station and 79th Street on the UWS is the Red #1. The other reds either do not stop at 79th or only do so late at night. Yes? When I arrive at Penn Station via Amtrak I need to look for the 7th street side and follow signs to the red line? Thanks for confirmation or correction as I plan our trip!
Feb 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM

The Red #1 UPTOWN local train. (yes the 2 and 3 are express and do not stop at 79th - except if you are here on a weekend -- read the weekend track work signs when you are here. (Oh 7th AVENUE side - 7th street is nowhere near Penn Station
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Just call it the #1 train. There is only #1 train, and that is what NYers call it. (The colors are to make the map easier to read.)

At Penn Station, the #1 train has its own platform (doesn't share with the 2 and 3 as in some stations), so just choose the Uptown 1 and you should be fine. In general, when you get off an Amtrak train, you climb up stairs closer to the 8th Avenue side of the station.

Another terminology hint, just in case someone gives you directions through Penn Station and uses the words "local" or "express":

The #1 train is called "local" because it makes every single local stop.

The #2 and #3 are called "express" because they run the same route as the #1 but skip past some stops, as you noticed.
Feb 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Yes, that's correct. It's very easy to find.
Feb 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Just keep following the signs. It's a bit of a walk to the #1 train.

As SueNYC said, there's a big difference between Avenues and Streets. Avenues run north (uptown) and south (downtown). Streets run east to west.
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM

I almost always stay on 79th and arrive via Penn station. I always worry I'll get lost in Penn Station, but never do. There are lots of overhead signs pointing you to the #1 line of the Subway and if you miss those, there are several police stations (counters?) inside the station so you can ask for help. It is a fairly long walk, but on smooth floors (luggage rolls easily) with lots of interesting people and shops to distract you!

Just remember when you are coming back from 79th that the stations on each side of broadway are either uptown OR downtown. Once you go downstairs, if you're in the wrong one you'll have to go back outside and cross Broadway to go down again.
Feb 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! We've been to Manhattan before and taken the subway (plus we're from DC and used to taking subways) but I still wanted to plan ahead and make sure I knew which way to go since we'll have a child with us. Maybe a long walk through the station won't be such a bad thing since we'll have been sitting on the train for 3 hours! We're staying at the Lucerne Hotel and really looking forward to the trip.

Side question: I've seen many recommendations to go to Carmine's for dinner and was surprised because it's a chain restaurant. With all the local, independent restaurants in NYC I was surprised to see so many recommendations for a chain place. Is it that great? Thanks again.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Chain! Not really!
Unless there's a third, I know of only two Carmine's.
One is located on the Upper West Side on Bway at 90th or 91st St... the other in the Theatre District, believe 44th or 45th St. between Bway/8th Ave.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:33 AM

You'll get strong opinions on both sides about Carmine's. I'm on the "anti" side. You can do much better!
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM

If you are meeting several members of your family, it is a good place for a group meal. The uptown restaurant is much more "local" than the one in Times Square and it was the first. If you are looking for haute cuisine, I'd go elsewhere.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

There are two in NYC, one in Atlantic City, one in the Bahamas at the Atlantis resort, and one in DC. It's owned by the Alicart Restaurant Group which also owns Virgil's BBQ, Artie's Delicatessen, and Gabriela's. I guess it's more of a "local" chain since most of the locations are in NYC.
http://www.alicart.com/
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm not looking for fancy Italian food, just good and family friendly. And of course, not too expensive.
Feb 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Carmines is big and very very noisy. Want that? Then go there. But ask at your hotel about better choices.
Feb 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM

It is family style. So while it may be atractive for a group of teens, it had limited charm for two adults.
Feb 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Carmine's is not a chain - just 2 branches.

And I'm on the anti side. It's OK but nothing special. Basic red sauce Italian in enormous portions (be careful not to order too much or it will be pricey and you'll never finish the food). Plus it's always mobbed and very noisy. There are a lot of other places that are better and closer to the Lucerne.
Feb 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Oh - and agree not to call it the "Red" line. Many locals will not know what you mean. the colors are for maps alone (since there are several different trains shown under each color)..

Subways are known either by their number or letter - the 1 train - or by their description "the Broadway local" or the "Lex Ave Express".
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!
Feb 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Oh, and Carmine's doesn't take reservations except for a large group. You'll have to wait your turn.

As already said, there are Italian (or other cuisine) eateries nearby... the hotel can advise.
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM

To me Carmine's (theater district) has all the charm and ambience of an army mess hall - let alone the mediocre food. On the Upper West Side - Gennaro's on Amsterdam Ave. - good Italian food and very reasonably priced.
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM

I'm on the pro side for Carmines (quite and surprisingly good homey red-sauce Italian favorites) but not for a couple. Just not a good deal because the portions are so gigantic. And the wait time (particularly for the Times Square location) is interminable. Definitely limit yourself to the UWS location, but I think you can do better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO