VT getaway

Old Oct 18th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VT getaway

Hello. I'm looking for recommendations for a quaint inn or B&B in Vermont, within driving distance of Boston, for a one-night getaway with a friend next month. Cozy, scenic, easy-access to nature and wine are pluses. We just want to chill out without our kids for like 24 hours.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 11:57 PM

Norwich Inn might be too far for an overnight but easy drive I93 to I89 to I91. Your choice old inn or new building. Restaurant across street was good, Carpenter and Main. Norwich is rustic and scenic whereas nearby Woodstock VT is too touristy but you might like for shopping. Get an early start to make Saturday's farmers market but I haven't been to the indoor one. Check location and time. King Arthur Flour if you want to pick up baking supplies and maybe fresh bread to bring home. Visit Simon Pierce and maybe have lunch. November outdoors can be grim but there are hiking trails.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Trying to keep your driving distance down, look at Quechee Inn at Marshland Farm. Three and a half hour drive Boston to VT so you really need two nights in VT to make it worthwhile.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can deal with a queen bed plus a sleeper sofa, The Harvest Barn Inn in Bellows Falls has a nice fireplace suite/private bath with a private deck that looks out over the pond and an orchard.
There's a really good Chinese takeout place just down the road and a few other dining options about a mile away in Rockingham.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 07:44 AM

For a one nighter, you might want to look in New Hampshire. Many towns like New London, Bradford, etc. are just as cozy and scenic as Vermont. If you do want Vermont, Norwich might be your best choice as far as charm and driving time.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What frosty said re the Norwich Inn etc +1. Lovely place to stay and the restaurant opposite was great. Also the "mom and pop" store next door was a novelty for this Brit and I loved the market at KAF even though there was a stall claiming to sell "the best Cheddar cheese in the world".
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 09:38 AM

I haven't stayed there, but it might fit the bill:

https://flic.kr/p/7frw9n