Search

Volcano Viewing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Hilo

Volcano Viewing

We are wondering just how accessible is the lave viewing these days. We were thinking of
heading out very early in the AM after an east
coast flight but don't know if we will find our
way in the dark. Is night viewing a better option?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:28 PM
volcano

We just got back from Volcano, HI. You can definitely get there in the dark. Bring flashlights. The scenery is definitely more spectacular in the dark. Once you enter the park, drive down Chain-of-Craters Road all the way to the end. After the ranger station, you must walk the rest of the way. The distance varies because the flow changes every day. The rangers put out yellow markers on the ground so you know where to walk. I am sure that you will not be alone there, because we never were, night or day.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Sarah

Hilo you will be exhausted after your flight if you are talking about heading straight there. Remember it is 45 minutes from the hilo airport than another 45 minutes to the lava flow that after a 10-14 hour flight.

I like to take that first day and lounge at the hotel or condo. You also want to be there when the park rangers are about, this being your first time and all they will guide you where and where not to walk. Although sunrise sounds wonderful! I am not sure if they are there that earlier. I know they are there at 10pm not sure about 4-6 though.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:40 PM
sss

not sure about 4-6am

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Christina

It might not matter if Mauna Loa blows. The roads may be closed.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:35 PM
rrr

We were just there about 10 days ago-I agree with Sarah-can't imagine trying to do the park after flying in - we flew in from the east coast and were too fuzzy headed to do much but relax the first day but maybe you are younger and more resilient. Anyway-there is a lot to see at the park besides just the lava flow so unless you have done the other stuff before you will want most of the day there-we went to the flow at dusk and the rangers were there-and a lot of people -but do be sure to have a flashlight for each person and closed shoes-it's definitely worth seeing after dark-but it is a long dark drive on a curvy road when you leave so wouldn't want to be tired or sleepy doing it.
Have fun!