Vivian Howard's new PBS TV show

Old Apr 14th, 2020, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vivian Howard's new PBS TV show

Last night I just happened upon this although I knew it had started--I think last week.
This one was about "porridge" and started with her cooking for a special dinner in Charleston.
What eventually developed was her visiting with African American and more particularly Gullah-Geechie chefs in Charleston and Savannah and discussing the influence of the slave culture on the Southeast (TAUGHT them how to raise rice as they had in West Africa) and on the cuisine. It was a wonderful mix of cuisine and social justice. Vivian was extremely "herself" --refreshingly--and her interchanges with these chefs was so good. She went to Charleston to visit _______ who is the chef at The Grey which is in the old Greyhound station (wonderful art Deco) and it's racial history--along with her dish of grits and foie gras!!
Find it and mark it down.
Vivian Howard is opening 2 restaurants in Charleston that I can't call the name--one restaurant and then her bakery which has been online..The discussion about African american influence was at Hannibal's restaurant, one of only a handful for black owned restaurants in Charleston, which was also interesting. As she said, at the point of starting, she was addressing the "elephant in the room"--she was the only white face there.

Her Gullah chef friend took her to Edisto to have a meal with a legend--also can't remember her name. She is famous for making grits with crab gravy and dear heavens, it looked TDF. This woman's forebears had cooked for the "help" on a plantation while her mother had cooked for the owners. such a story.

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 14th, 2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 02:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's Emily's website. She's working on a cookbook -
Media ? Emily Meggett
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in love with that show. Dumplings was great. Last week was pickles. She is wonderful. I saw that crab gravy. It is very interesting. I love the Julia Child show that comes on after.. She cooks and modern day chefs are watching her cook. They said there was a person under the counter handing her things. I saw her kitchen at the Smithsonian. My Friday night PBS shows.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 03:48 PM

Starrs, thank you. We were planning on going to The Grey in Savannah before all this happened. My friend in Evansville renovated a Greyhound station in Evansville Indiana for a restaurant called Bruburger. It is amazing and we wanted to take pictures for him to see this one. I had heard about the Gullah culture but this was very interesting.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 05:01 PM

Macross, this is going to be a rambling post.
Re the Gullah Geechee cultuer in Savannah - I knew very little. Then a couple of months ago, I saw an event on Facebook, hosted by the Episcopal church on Tybee. There was going to be a Gullah Geechee storyteller speaking on a Friday night. I extended a work trip to be there. As it turned out, I saw tedgale's partner walk in too! Small world.

Patt Gunn was wonderful! She was speaking that week in a long series offered by the church in their Racial Healing series. I hoped to return the next month but that was the Friday of St. Pat's weekend and when I flew home that week our world was changing (due to Covid 19).

Back to Patt - she was fabulous and also offers the Savannah Underground Tours. I hope to take the tour one day, but what she shared was amazing, including the slave pens built into Factors Walk and other elements she has discovered, that I won't disclose her to protect the information on her tour. An amazing woman.

https://www.undergroundtoursofsavannah.net/

She told of the Weeping Time, chronicled in Anne C. Bailey's book. I'd heard of it, but didn't remember the details. A heartbreaking and horrible time in our history. Here's Anne's website - and then the link to her book -
https://annecbailey.net/bio/

Book -
https://www.amazon.com/Weeping-Time-Largest-Auction-American-ebook/dp/B075V7X4JW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1587516691&refinements=p_27%3AAnne+C+Bailey&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Anne+C+Bailey https://www.amazon.com/Weeping-Time-Largest-Auction-American-ebook/dp/B075V7X4JW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1587516691&refinements=p_27%3AAnne+C+Bailey&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Anne+C+Bailey

And a link to an Atlantic article the talks about the last major slave auction in the country and the last slave ship to arrive -
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...g-time/374159/

Patt said someone from LA was out and took her tour and then there was communication back and forth. Next, Steven Spielberg was involved. Supposedly he has optioned the book and hopes to tell the story, his Schindler's List version of the slave story.

More about that day in Savannah in the next post -

Last edited by starrs; Apr 21st, 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 05:16 PM

I've been wanting to get over to Sapelo, but had no idea about the community on the marsh at Savannah. I can't believe I've not been there before, but the Pin Point museum is amazing -
Pin Point Heritage Museum
Small. Poignant. Simple. But there's a self-guided tour and video as well as a guided tour of the oyster and crab buildings where this tiny community provided both to the finest hotels and restaurants in the country. BEAUTIFULLY done!

Here's a peek -

I only had a short period of time there and watched the video and did a quick self-guided tour. I want to return for a guided tour. I recognized two of the staff from the video, descendent of the original residents. Their tiny lane of simple homes and church make up one of the most valuable black-owned waterfront real estate in the country.

I can't express how much I loved the Pin Point. Go for a visit when you can!

Last edited by starrs; Apr 21st, 2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 05:26 PM

Wow, that is so amazing. I am five hours from there and we cancelled everything on Thursday before St Patrick's day. My two friends from Indiana were coming and thought about just going and doing something on Tybee or Hilton head. We kept weighing pros and cons and glad we didn't as many still showed up. When we go we will do that tour for sure. Thank you for the links.
Old Apr 21st, 2020, 05:31 PM

Stop at Pin Point on the way in. You won't regret it. 2 hours there should be enough time. If you've not tried the Wylde yet, it's a nice VERY casual restaurant in the marsh, but it pricey. Patt's tour should be fabulous.

I'm going to try to figure out some G-G option to Sapelo. There was a woman who gave tours and had a simple B&B in her home but that seems to have evaporated. But Pin Point + Patt = great coverage of the G-G culture in Savannah.

Two more ideas - the Reynolds Mansion did a lot of special day events in 2019, including holiday teas. If they do that again, I'll let you know. Maybe we could meet up for a day trip to Sapelo.
https://gastateparks.org/ReynoldsMansion

Also, if you haven't taken the Underground Railroad tour at the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, it's great. Small. Simple. But very moving. I'll add links (saving this first due to the glitches) -
https://firstafricanbc.com/tours.php

Last edited by starrs; Apr 21st, 2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All very interesting! If you want to read a wonderful book about the back roads of the South--and it's checkered history as well as present day, read Paul Theroux's Deep South.