visitors to ft lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recent relo to ft lauderdale (from boston... what the h what i thinking)... however do have some visitors coming, 70ish Aunt and then following, a friend with 11 year old boys. would appreciate things to do in the area of interest so i can play tour guide for a few days. thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:07 AM

I don't understand the phrase "what the h was I thinking"..it's going to be hard to a tour guide for visitors in Fort Lauderdale if you feel that way.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:22 AM

Actually, you may decide you like it better after taking "tourists" around. It will give you a chance to see the area in a different light. Why don't you read this for starters

http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul..._lauderdale@64
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:30 AM
GoTravel

www.Sunny.org

For the official Broward County Website.

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

I agree; i have to "change the attitude" before I have company. And quickly. I miss friends and family in New England right now; and recently lost my sister and mom; so not feeling too great about living here and being away from my support network. so, I do think once I have some "pals" to see the sights I will appreciate where I am a little more. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks... might as well enjoy whats here while I am here...
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Beach...seafood...tour boats on the intracoastal...aunt might like Vizcaya in Miami along with Versailles restaurant for Cuban food...

I've lived in South Florida for 34 of my 41 years, and, believe me, if it weren't for my job, the weather, and my family, I'd be on the first plane out to Boston.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

That's interesting; i have heard the same from many other ppl who haved lived here most of their lives. Is the place you mention- "Vizcaya in Miami" the mansion you can tour? Where is it if this is the place? Thank you-
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Vizcaya is fabulous.
http://vizcayamuseum.org/
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Yes, Vizcaya is south of downtown Miami, not far from Cococonut Grove (which is a yuppie shopping/dining area with some nice bayfront parks/marinas.) Vizcaya is a beautiful italian villa style house and gardens.

Yes, many of us who grew up here longed to get away to more "REAL" places and never quite managed to...
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

does anyone know good boat tours in s beach and in ft lauderdale?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Hi, Jillc1,

As a longtime Ft. Lauderdale resident, I can tell you there is plenty to do here, and you don't even need to go as far as Vizcaya or Coconut Grove.

Your aunt would probably like to go to the Bonnet House, which is between the Intracoastal and the beach off Sunrise Blvd. If you search on "Bonnet House," you will find the Web site for this nice old home and beautiful grounds. It's become a kind of historical landmark.

Many tourists take the Jungle Queen cruise. It's a good way to tour the canals, and if you go at dinnertime there's the food and entertainment -- not first-rate, in my humble opinion, but still a good time.

This time of year is perfect for an airboat ride, which the boys would probably enjoy -- see Everglades Holiday Park at http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/.

The kids would probably also like Wannado City inside Sawgrass Mills Mall, way west on Sunrise Blvd. They can go in and pretend they are a firefighter, chef or a number of other jobs. The mall also has the interactive Rainforest Cafe, which to me is overpriced, but the kids will get a kick out of it. And of course, you and your aunt can go shopping there.

Of course, simply going to the beach is nice, too.

Hope these ideas help.

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you safarichick- I like that name! i must ask how you picked that-

is there any part of the beach that is better to go to than another? any parks, etc?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

ps- when i moved into my new condo on the new river in dec; i happend to hear all this music- i looked down off my 10th floor balcony to see the jungle queen below me all lit up with Christmas music playing and the passengars all waving and yelling "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas". It was pretty funny.... nite after nite after nite...
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Lauderdale by the Sea is a very cute town about 5 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale. Eat lunch/dinner at Aruba's on the beach, shopping. Damon's is a beach bar at the top of El Mar Drive. You can rent beach chairs in front for the day. Friday nights they close the street "downtown" in front of the Village Grill and there is a band and dancing. I guess everything is relative, the grass is always greener but I grew up/live in big northeast cities. We just bought a place in LBTS and I think it is great. I know South Florida is not without its faults but beautiful weather, nice people, so close to everything, different cultures, attitude level WAY down, so easy to just to "be". It doesn't get any more real than that. I hope it gets better for you, best wishes!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:55 AM

Jillc1,

Living downtown, you probably hear all kinds of music. Did you catch any of the blues festival a couple weeks ago?

In Ft. Lauderdale, most people who go to the beach probably go to "the strip," which is south of Oakland Park Blvd. on A1A until you get past Las Olas Blvd. This is the busiest, the place to see and be seen and all that. If you take your family, you might want to go to Birch State Park on Sunrise near A1A almost across from the Bonnet House and park there, then walk through the underpass to the beach. The park is nice in itself, and you might have a better chance at parking there. You and your family can all get in for $5, I think.

I second the Lauderdale by the Sea recommendation, especially for the beach. If you go to the end of Commercial Blvd., there is a small local beach there with a fishing pier. This is usually a quieter beach than the strip. Or if you want to go south, try John U. Lloyd State Park in Dania, which also has a nice beach and other fun things to do.

My screen name has just been a nickname of mine for a while; I don't remember how it came about.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM

Hi there...we loved Ft. Lauderdale, just returned from time there. The beach was great as was the Water Taxi which takes you all around the city. The Las Olas Riverfront and neighborhood was great also.