Search

Visiting The U.N.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting The U.N.

For anyone thinking of visiting the U.N., either as a tourist or a resident, below is our experience from yesterday afternoon.

Living for more than a decade within walking distance of the U.N., we never thought to visit. Yesterday we decided to check it out, and were pleasantly suprised. We got through security (in a large air conditioned tent) in 5 minutes, no big lines, which was surprising considering it's the height of the tourist season.

The place is nicely air conditioned, with a small cafe and restrooms, there's also a post office that sells stamps from around the world, a UNICEF counter with gifts and merchandise for sale, a large book store and best of all a large gift shop with crafts, jewelry, pottery, etc from at least 50 different countries. All this is available without cost if you decide against a purchase. It's a good place to hang out on hot and cold days if you find yourself in the vicinity and have time to kill.

Of course tours are also offered, which we took, for a regular price of $16 with discounts available for children, students and seniors. The tours are scheduled in different languages and no reservations are needed. The tours last for about an hour and go in groups of 15 - 20 people. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and we learned a few things to boot.

There is also the Delegates dining room where you can have lunch if you wish but it requires jackets for men and runs about $27 for an international buffet with great views of the East River. We decided we'd go back for lunch on another visit.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
yk

Thanks for your review. I too took the UN tour a year ago and thought it was educational and interesting.

For people who are interested in going, don't forget to check out the beautiful Chagall Peace Window in the UN lobby. You do NOT have to join a tour to view the Peace Window; you just have to go thru the security check mentioned by Frank above.

Here is a thread about the Chagall Peace Window (with photo links):
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...omment-5517187
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the review... my nephew is visiting next week, and this goes on his itinerary!
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Have taken this tour -- thanks for the report, Frank.

If memory serves, there are some parts of the UN complex that would normally be shown on tours that are currently closed because of renovation work. Their website doesn't give a lot more information than this, unfortunately. I think when I went the General Assembly hall was open but the Security Council chambers were closed, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

YK: We did see the Chagall Peace Window, it's one of the largest Stained Glass windows I've ever seen and you are right that you can see it at no cost.

gb944: I wouldn't say the U.N. is on the top 10 for New York City, but if he has the time, it's definitely in the top 20.

bachslunch: The complex is being renovated, but we did get to enter the General Assembly, while it was in session, not the Security Council. Not sure if the Security Council is ever offered.