Visiting the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the things we've always seemed to miss. Any suggestions for a visit during early June? I know we can get there by the 2,3,B, or Q subways. Maybe go early in the morning? What about lunch? Anything there or just outside, or should we go into Brooklyn for lunch? And suggestions along the way near the subway -- or via a nice walk?
Is the Brooklyn Museum of Art a "don't miss" while we're there?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM

ttt

Patrick, believe it or not, I haven't been either. I look forward to hearing about your visit.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
jtp

The gardens are beautiful - any season as for a restaurant recommendation, check out www.egullet.com - click on the United States Forum and then New York and you can search or post
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM

The whole garden is nice and they have a "bonzai's" collection magnificent.
If wheather is nice, the "cafetaria" at the garden is not so bad and the tables outside make a charming "lunch".
Brooklyn museum is not to miss and the special exhibits are generally interesting(perhaps the Basquiat's one will always be in).
From here to walk to Brooklynn city hall is not so long if you are a "good" hiker.
You pass through Park Slope(very nice) and then to Brooklyn "center city" via a non dangerous avenue and if you are interested by antiques you can go on Atlantic Avenue(last years quality and choice have gone unfortunately down...).
In Brooklyn the Brooklyn historical society is a nice small museum.
Some italians restaurant in Montague street are fine.
Another possibility is to cross Brooklyn Bridge and dine at the Bridge Cafe on Water street.
So a "good" day could be : Brooklyn garden on morning with a lunch at the Cafetaria, then Brooklyn museum, walk to Brooklyn city hall and early dinner in Montague street before crossing the bridge just before sunset
or the brooklyn historical society and crossing the bridge before a dinner at the bridge Café.
Erik.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:40 AM

Patrick: my daughter, sister, and I will be visiting the gardens and the art museum at the end of April and will post a report when we get back (along with reports on the rest of our itinerary which includes Turandot, All Shook Up, restaurants, etc.)
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions, especially monpetit. I had no idea that we could walk into the "downtown area" and Montague Street, maps can be misleading -- and yes we are walkers. I'll consider much of what you have said, although all nights in New York include tickets to the theatre for us -- so sunset and dinner plans will need to be otherwise.

I looke forward to other reports from the Gardens and the Museum.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Patrick, a day in Brooklyn, with visits to the Botanical Gardens and the museum will be a rewarding experience. Both are well worth your time.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM
mp

Patrick - The gardens are beautiful and June will be a great time . . . spend an early morning hour or so there and then walk over to the Brooklyn Museum (right next door) for another very pleasant hour or so. The Egyptian collection is world class, some of the other art, less so - but it is still a great museum, it's recent renovation is quite impressive, I think. There's also the Luce Center design/objects facility with thousands of objects from the collection on display in the working storage facility - this might interest you. Check out the website at www.brooklynmusem.org and check on what will be there in June - the current Basquiat show ends in early June, I think.

There's also a a trolley that goes around Prospect Park and to parts of Brooklyn that might be helpful - there's a link on the museum's site.

A fun neighborhood to browse around is Atlantic Avenue around Court St. - lots of Middle Eastern restaurants and shops.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM

You can eat in Montague at 5'45/6 and then the subway can take you to Theater
district...
This is a "several made" schedule for Anny and I...
And if you are a Sunday in NY, the brunch at Bridge Cafe is very good...
Next April we'll be there and "unfortunately"(it's a joke...) no
evening has been able to be kept free between musicals(All shock up, Little women, La cage aux folles), theater(
Glass menagerie despite the controversial critics...), Carnegie hall(piano recital) and...Bob Dylan at the Beacon...
But if you wake up early, colors on Brooklyn bridge on an early morning
are also very nice...and it's our project...
Erik.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM

So now I'm intrigued about adding the Gardens to our proposed water taxi-Grimaldi's-Manhattan Bridge day; is this too much to do in one day, or should they be separate trips? How much time should you allot to the Gardens--we seem to be missing the Cherry Tree Festival by a weekend, so I would *assume* (you know what they say about that) that the trees would be beautiful a few days early! I've seen a recommendation here to plan for an hour; is that sufficient for the whole place, or is it so big that you shouldn't try to do it in one day?

And if we can reasonably add it to the waterfront activities, is there a preferred way to get there, ie, is subway or bus a good option?

thanks so much; your local knowledge (and unending patience with touristo questions) is so appreciated.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Patrick: I've "topped" a posting from Neal Sanders re the gardens...
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Patrick, Brooklyn is enjoying a restaurant boom -- lots of very fine bistros and interesting restaurants -- none of which are located on Montague St., BTW, where I find the eating uninspring. Check out Zagats or other guides and think 5th Ave in Park Slope and Smith Street in Cobble Hill for oodles of wonderful choices including the top-rated Grocery on Smith. Others we like: Stone Farm Cafe (very new and NYT rated) and Blue Ribbon on 5th. For us NYC foodies, Bklyn is almost more exciting than Manhattan because the scale is intimate and cozy. Call and check on lunch times.