Visiting NYC this summer. Read this

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:20 AM
rqf

Visiting NYC this summer. Read this

There will be a series of free musical events this summer in downtown NYC in or near Battery Park (where you take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island). For information on what is happening when you will be in the city go to www.rivertorivernyc.org

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:52 AM
lisa

We are scared of coming to Manhattan. What about if there is another September 11? As you know people responsibe for the tragedy are still out there. Can you really enjoy this beautiful city knowing that it may happen again when you are there?

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:57 AM
maybeyour

Lisa, What makes you so sure that if and when something happens, it will happen in New York?

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:00 AM
DaveD

Personally, I think Washington is a more likely target. Just today, Orlando was mentioned in a USA Today story as a possible target as well. So, don't worry about it and continue living your life, Lisa. You can't live scared. If you wish to visit another city, then do so but remember you're only depriving yourself.

ps - I'll be in Washington with my family next week!

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Kathy

Or Chicago or Los Angeles. But NY was first on the list. Remember the first bombing in the WTC and they came back to the same exactly place on September 11. What a tragedy. So many people died. Be honest with yourself.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:09 AM
ss

I just saw an ad in the NY Times for the first concert - Sheryl Crow on May 30. The tickets for the event, being held in Battery Park are free and have to be picked up in advance at various locations. There is a problem, however, making it difficult for visitors to the city to attend. Visitors have to be in the city tomorrow through Thursday the 23rd in order to pick up tickets for a concert on May 30. Further, you have to present the original ad from the Times to get two tickets. So, if you are in the city today and will still be here on the 30th, and see the ad in the Times or have computer access and read this you are out of luck. It is not likely that many visitors to the city will enjoy this event.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Diana

Dear RQF: thanks for the heads-up. I went on the website and there will be a Randy Newman concert, hootnannys, noon concerts, special walking tours, flag day celebrations etc. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:05 AM
patty

What a great website! I bookmarked it immediately to help figure out our summer's entertainment. Thanks.

Another one of my favorite free summer activities has recently announced their schedule - Summerstage at Central Park. There are quite a few paid admission benefit concerts - more than in the past or so it seems - but a lot of great free ones: New York Pops to open it up, Celia Cruz, Kronos Quartet, Sonic Youth, They Might Be Giants, Dave Brubeck, three Puccini operas throughout the summer and all the great spoken word and world music performances.

Their website is http://www.summerstage.com/performances/schedule.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Shame on you

Lisa...You should be taken out on the street and beaten.

Go on and live your normal life. The world is no more dangerous today than it was on September 10th. You are just more aware of your world. For most Americans, it's a shock there are other people in the world anyway.

I suppose lots of people are a little scared, but that's OK since there are now 250 million Americans looking for Mohammed, Ahab, Suresh, and anyone else stupid enough to try to attack us again.

What is shameful is you shaking on this board and contributing to a sense of panic in this country

Go to these concerts (although a Randy Newman concert may be considered terrorism anyway)

Enjoy the music...if you see a bunch of towel-heads acting suspicious...go tell a cop...or better yet....Say "let's roll" and get them yourself

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Diana

Patty, thanks for the summerstage website; however it is ".org", not ".com"

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:13 PM
kate

lisa-then stay home. and hope that your town isn't the one they pick next.

rqf-thanks, we were in Central Park on Sunday and picnicing by the Delacourt.I was wishing it was warm already!! and we could watch some Shakespeare in the Park! Good things to look forward to.

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:31 PM
patty

Thanks Diana but, at least on my computer, the .com works just like the .org...go figure! Are there any of the Summerstage concerts you're interested in?

And as long as we're talking free summer NYC concerts, the Philharmonic will be playing the Great Lawn in Central Park on July 24 (Dvorak, Liszt, etc.) and August 1 (Saint-Saens, Rossini, Rachmaninoff). Starts at 8pm and ends, traditionally anyway, with fireworks.

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:36 AM
Susan

An answer for Lisa - Yes, you can enjoy a trip to NYC. We went the other weekend and had a great time. It was the weekend there was a huge bicycling event and the city was packed and very lively, the weather was fantastic, the theater was full .... All these summer events sound great too.

OK, another terrorist attack may happen, anywhere, any time. And heading out in my car on the roads around Washington DC I could have a fatal accident any time too! But I'm not going to stay home and worry. Please get out and enjoy yourself.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:46 AM
Jen

Lisa, everybody is more scared and on edge these days, but if you start second guessing what the terrorists are going to do next then you are letting them win. Let's show them that America really is the home of the brave by traveling, spending money to keep the economy going, celebrating the fourth of July, and flying our flags everyday in support of our troops overseas.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:05 AM
denise

This is already a tired subject I know but when I hear "I am afraid to come to NY comments" I really lose it. I know the trepidation you all must feel but if you let this fear dictate how you live your life, then the terrorists won. Simple. A friend from Ohio visited me 6 weeks ago here in NY buut refused to stay at my place and instead opted to stay with a cousin in NJ. She did this for 3 days until she got her senses back and she moved in with me for duration of her visit. NY is fine, go where u want to go...just be more aware of your sorroundings. Life is short, tomorrow is not promised us. Go out there!!

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
carly

My uncle was mugged in Miami.Should we all be afraid to go there too?
Lisa, can you really enjoy your own little town knowing it can happen there?

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:55 PM
Chris

To Lisa who's afraid to come to New York: We would love to have you and I think you would be pleasantly surprised once you're here and in particular on your flight home remembering all of the wonderful things you did in NYC. I've lived here for five years and only one day has ever been anything less than magical. I doubt anyone in OKC ever thought their lives were anything less than wonderful either. And I would suppose they still feel that way.

We'd love to see you soon.

Chris