Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC in September: Want to see a newish play; what do you suggest?

Jul 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hubby and I are going to NYC in mid-September and want to see a play or two. Musical are OK, but we usually take our kids to see musicals, so we'd like to go see something we wouldn't take our kids to.

We'll take any and all suggestions. Last time we were in New York was Feb. 2008, and we saw August: Osage County and November. Time before that we had the kids and saw Wicked.
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM

Funny, that play did not look Newish.
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM

I've heard great things about the Norman Conquests. That's newish....
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM

In my opinion, whether you'll like a show depends entirely on what you're interested in.

God of Carnage was excellent. Marcia Gay Harden won a well deserved Tony. It's about two couples whose kids have a problem and they get together to solve it. It is a 90 minute show with no intermission that I saw with my mother (we are 37 and 71). We laughed out loud many times and were also on the edge of our seat. Also stars Jeff Daniels (love!), Hope Davis and James Gandolfini. Great actors (save Gandolfini but he absolutely has wonderful moments).

My dad loved Mary Stuart - he's into history. Its about the relationship between Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots, her rival to the throne. I didn't see it but both parents put it in their top 2.

If you like Jude Law, he's starring in Hamlet. Haven't heard a thing about it. Not sure it's open yet. Have heard good things about Exit the King, starring Geoffrey Rush and Susan Sarandon.

Good luck and enjoy!
Jul 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM

There are many on-line sources to scour for reviews to see what fit your tastes and what will still be running in September including the NY Times, Time Out New York, and the New Yorker.
Jul 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM

I was also given the recommendation of God of Carnage
Jul 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM

'A Steady Rain' with Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig will be in previews then - it looks very interesting.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM

We're headed to NYC in October and have tix to "God of Carnage". I am trying to talk spouse into "Next to Normal" but it could be a last minute thing.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

aduchamp, when I saw August, it was "newish" in that it had only been open a couple months in NYC. I know it had been in Chicago the year before.

I really see no reason for your sarcastic, not-in-the-least helpful, comment. I was asking for suggestions, not criticism.

Have a nice day.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

I suggest you avoid comedies as it seems you didn't get Aduchamp's pun/joke.
In all seriousness - look at Playbill.com. They have a list of upcoming shows & opening dates.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
DMG

I didn't realize it was a pun until I read the last post. Actually quite clever.

I am coming to New York also and plan to see Next to Normal. Even though it is a musical, I understand that it is quite serious and is very adult oriented so it might be perfect for ksbeem.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

If the NY production of "A Steady Rain" is like the Chicago production, you really should go. It is a very emotional, intense play. I was totally involved in it. Not a play for kids.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM

I just bought the soundtrack to Next to Normal. Very rock-opera-y. Kind of sad. Definitely not for kids.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM

'Next to Normal' was very good with a great cast and definitely not for kids, but you better be in the mood for rock because so much of the dialogue is sung. I didn't love the music, but I enjoyed the performance and the story is very engaging.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

You can probably find plot summaries of all of the recommendations online. I'd suggest making a list of what sounds good and reading the plot summaries. Some plays are very dark and some are uplifting and you can choose based on how you want to feel afterwards.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

i was also recommended 'Next to Normal' by a few aussies who have visited recently
Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Yes, Next to Normal was my mother's favorite musical the month she was in town, although I think you wanted to stay away from musicals. Let us know what you end up deciding!