Visiting NYC in Oct - Advice please!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Sandy

Visiting NYC in Oct - Advice please!

My husband and I will be visiting NYC in October (16-21) for our 10 year anniversary. We are Canadians and thrilled to visit NYC. Some questions:

1) Someone on this board mentioned getting tickets on line to the Empire State Building. Which site?

2) We will be catching a few Broadway shows and will use the TKTS discount on the day of. However, we really want to see Les Mis.. what are the chances of getting these tickets half price or should we just book in advance?

3) Where is the best place to view (rooftop)the city at night? I want to surprise my husband with a night he'll never forget... something romantic but not crazy expensive ( a little pricey is OK just not crazy!)

4) Why is the Statue of Liberty closed? Is it because of the heightened security alert?(sorry for my ignorance)

Any other tidbits would be great. Looking so forward to another neighborly visit.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:26 PM
tweedy

Hi Sandy,

Not sure where to get the tickets to the EMpire State, but I am sure someone will have the info. You also might think about the package deal tickets that include a museum or two, The Empire State, and more.

Get a metro card at any subway station when you get here so you can get on and off the bus or subway as you need to. That way you won't have to have exact change all the time.

Les Mis tickets should be available for at least one of the nights you are here, and there is a new TKTS downtown, I think at the South St. Seaport, (the location used to be at the World Trade Center).

The EMpire State has the best view of the city now, but no restaurant up there. There are so many good restaurants...what are his favorites? We have over 10,000 restaurants just in Manhattan, I'm sure you can find one he will love.

If you like Music, try Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall for a night out (the Met and Philharmonic are in season, as well as the start of the season at Carnegie)

The Statue of Liberty is closed but you can go to Liberty Island and Ellis Island and walk around. Yes the reason is the threat of more terrorism.

You also might want to pay your respects at Battery Park and Ground Zero. There is a new memorial that opened as of 9/11/02.

There are some wonderful restaurants downtown in the Wall St and Tribeca areas and hotels, all of them could sure use your business. A report came out today that we have fewer tourists spending fewere dollars so we sure can use your support.

IF you could tell us where you are staying we can also give you some ideas of places to eat. One of my favs is a Tex/Mex restaurant called Rio Grande located at 37th and 3rd Ave. The restaurant takes up the whole floor of a condo building, the north side is Texas and the south of course is Mexico, and they make the BEST margaritas!!!! Good food and good prices there as well.

You might pick up a Zaggat's guide and have it with you so you can choose wisely as you travel around the city.

Have a great time, and let us know if you have any other questions.

tweedy

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Allan

Empire state building tickets can be purchased online from http://www.esbnyc.com/index2.cfm

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:48 AM
kodi

Hi Sandy, Just so you are aware. Buying tickets for the Empire State Building is not a problem. It's the long line up to get up to the top after you have your tickets. We were there in August and bought our tickets from one of the many tour guides out front of the building. THEN we had to stand in the line up. Just so you are aware of that. Buying them on line isn't going to save much time. Good luck and have fun.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Philip

www.citysearch.com usually lists what is on TKTS (M-F after 4pm). You may want to monitor it a few days before your trip to see if your show(s) are posted regularly.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/feature/34843/

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Jane

Sandy also I think on the weekends the very top floor is closed so I would ask. When I was in NYC I went to the Empire State building and because it was a Saturday they said that the top floor was closed and that it is only open during the week.I hope there are some NYC'ers that can check that out. I would not want Sandy to go through the trouble and not get to go to the very top.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Howard

Chances are excellent for getting tickets to Les Miz, especially for a mid-week performance. You can probably get them for a weekend as well.
Another good way to see the Statue of Liberty is to take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park. It provides a wonderful view of the Statue, as well as the lower NYC skyline. And, it's free!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Flynn

Sandy, currently half-price discounts are being offered online at: Playbill.com
for Les Miz and other shows. It's very simple to join online and then you can either print out the offer or order directly.

For a terrific view of Manhattan, try the Water's Edge Restaurant in Queens. They even have a water taxi that will pick you up in Manhattan and take you right to the restaurant.

On Friday nights the Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center is open to the general public but it's pricey - $150 per person - with dinner & dancing but to get a beautiful view of the city, go to the Rainbow Grill and have a cocktail.

Another beautiful view of the city is from the Brooklyn Heights Promenadade (easy to get to via subway) and have a drink at the River Cafe - very romantic.

Have fun and happy anniversary.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
citysue

For a great city view at night there is the rotating restaurant or lounge on top of the Marriott Marquis ..if dinner is too pricey try the lounge..have fun..send us a trip report!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Michelle

I would have drinks at the Top of the Peninsula hotel. GREAT views of the city. You should pick up a Zagat guide or just go to www.zagat.com and take a look at some restaurants. www.newyork.citysearch.com is also a great NYC site.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Ruth

I've been researching a trip to NYC in October too.

A previous poster mentioned the combined attractions pass - you can find details of this on www.citypass.com. It seems to cost $38 for the following attractions American Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim Museum, Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, The Museum of Modern Art, Empire State Building Observatory, Circle Line Harbor Cruise, Whitney Museum of American Art (once to each attraction, vouchers are removed from the pass on each visit).

This is more than 50% off if you plan to visit all of these. Indeed the harbour line cruise is $20, so you could break even quite easily if you plan to do this. I've not decided whether to buy it yet, as we only have 3 days in NYC.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Kate

I doubt you'll have any trouble getting tickets for Les Mis at the TKTS booth. The Marriott lounge does have a great view, but do bear in mind that they charge a cover fee in addition to buying drinks.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Sandy

WOW.... you guys are great!! Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I took your advice and ordered the ESB tickets online. Thanks. It sounds like the Marquis or the Pen is the place for a rooftop view. I also joined Playbill.com but they are not posting any Les Mis tickets for the time period we are going. I will keep looking. Any more advice is greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Flynn

Sandy, for the period 9/16 thru 12/23/02 half-price tix are being offered for Les Miz. Go to this website:
http://nydailynews-proxy.nandomedia.com
The code is LMYDNNW to get the discount. I think it beats waiting on the TKTS line and you can order in advance. Let us know if you get them.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Cabaret

Flynn -- Can you recommend a site to purchase discount tix to the Cabaret show? Is there a special promotion that you know of like for the Les Miz?

Thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Flynn

Cabaret poster: discounts available at:
dealsonbroadway.com
broadwaybox.com