Search

Visiting Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Aaron

Visiting Alaska

I will be visiting Alaska from September 1 - September 8. We are planning to visit Denali and the Kenai penisula.

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in this time frame?

How much time should allocate for these areas?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:16 AM
mel

Aaron, The key to being prepared for the weather in Alaska is to dress in layers. The morning may start out a little cool, but then you'll want to take off your jacket and sweatshirt in the afternoon. Or, the city you may be in is 70 degrees and then you drive up the mountain and it's 40 degrees!

As far as how much time to allocate: I think you're already in a time crunch - but then, you don't say how you will be traveling between Denali and Kenai and what activities you want to do. You can easily spend a week in Denali and still feel cheated. Same with the Kenai peninsula. Remember that Alaska is very very big and if you're driving, it may take a while. If I remember correctly, the train ride from Anchorage to Denali was seven hours. Hope you have a fabulous time - - Alaska is breathtaking!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:36 AM
John

Aaron, Mel is right about time crunch. If driving, it's a day drive from Anchorage to the Denali Park entrance, then you'll need an additional day minimum to ride the shuttle bus into the park and back out, then a day driving back to Anchorage. Being a peninsula, it's your call as to how far down the Kenai you go, all the way to Homer (advised) is (again) a one-day drive from Anchorage, ditto returning. Seward, which is also on the Kenai Peninsula, but which is accessed off a separate road from the main north-south highway, is about 2-3 hours from Anchorage by car, then an hour or so "double back" to the main N/S road for returns to Anchorage or resumption of southbound travel. In Homer and/or Seward, there are fine excursions, such as to the Kenai Fjords (Seward) or across Kachemak Bay to Seldovia (Homer), each of which will knock the stuffings out of a day, too. So some priority-setting is needed. (Flying to Homer from Anchorage might be a plan, then rent a car there for one or two days' running around.) If it's this year, start looking for accommodation right away - Labor Day is as big in AK as everywhere else.

In early September the weather ought to be nice, and the bug population may be in decline. Not all summers are warm, however.

PS The state fair will be going on in Palmer (north of Anchorage) through Sept. 3 - worth a visit to see the mutant cabbages.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Aaron

Planning to travel by car and looking for good places to visit.

What are some the best places to see in the Kenai penisula. Is the visit to Kenai Fjords worth a visit?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:05 PM
John

Aaron, you might consider doing a big loop around southcentral Alaska, starting with a drive to Seward, then take the ferry across Prince William Sound to Valdez, then driving back up and over to Denali Park, then returning to Anchorage. It can be done in 7 days, although you won't have much time to stay in any one place. Still, it will give you the opportunity to see a lot of scenery, maybe some critters, and get a feel on what you'd like to experience on your return, which you will probably want to plan.

My own viewpoint is that unless you really want to see a lot of wildlife, the trip in and out of Denali Park is something of a time suck. If the mountain is visible (often not the case because of clouds) it's a life-changing event. If it's not, and if you're not lucky to see bears, moose, etc. from the park shuttle bus (no cars allowed) you'll have blown a couple of days which with your schedule could have been spent on the Kenai or around PW Sound. As for what to see on the Kenai, there's plenty: mountains, animals, Russian churches, offshore whales, active volcanoes on the other shore, salmon rivers and lakes, tidewater glaciers (on PW sound), monster halibut, loons hooting around wilderness lakes, oil refineries,...lots.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Kay

Weather: Last 2 years on Sept 1 thru 10--had great weather!! Train to Denali rained part of the way only.
In Denali for 4 days ALL sunshine. Wnt on the "green-all day"bus into the Park-We saw fairly close (except for Bighorn sheep ) 8 types of animals-bear with cubs, moose, etc. etc.
Saw ALL of Mt. Mc Kinley a few clouds around but clear views for most of early part of day (apparently more clouds later in the day)
It was one of the most outstanding trips of my 65 yrs. (Plus I made the trip alone by air and by train)
Clothes==I took way too many !!!
I did the "layer" thing but just too many layers!! I was told to take a "good" raincoat as if it rains it is often a hard rain and windy. All I needed to add was a overcoat for warmth. However, I took sweats, long John's, heavy sweaters No wonder people at the airport looked at my 2 BIG bags, one nice man offered his assistance...
One last piece of advice--if taking camera ALWAYS take extra batteries.
Happy trails

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Aaron

Thanks for all of the advice!

Any suggestions on lodging in Denali?

Which tour in Denali is considered better? Park system or charter? Does anyone have website for reservations?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:38 PM
GOL

Reseravation page:
http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/buses/
I found phone reservations is better.
Main site: www.nps.gov/dena

Lodging suggestions: Just one that I have seen. The Princess (line) lodge near the park is nice. Near the entrance. Touristy, but ok.

In Seward, Exit Glacier, part of the Kenai Fjords Nat Park, is a don't miss. You can hike up 200' or so and see/touch the glacier.. Or hike much further up and see the entire ice field. Spectacular. www.nps.gov/kefj

Have you considered buying The Milepost?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Jeff

I just returned from a 10 day Alaska trip. We visited Denali, Homer, Seward and Anchorage. In Denali use the Park Service for tours. Cost alot less and you see the same stuff as the wildlife tours. I took the 8 hour r/t to Eliason(?) and saw tons of animals. If your driving to Homer stop at Deep Creek Park right near Ninilchik. It has a beach area with a nice view but off the left is a Bald Eagle breeding ground. We saw about fifty bald eagles there and were able to get close enough for some good photos. We took a boat trip with Kenai tours in Seward that was great. Try some finishing too. But be aware that there is a limit if you fish from a boat, one salmon or two halibit. If you want Salmon I'd recommend finishing from the shore. You'll see lots of people doing t on the drive to Homer. Bring lots of film the scenery is breath taking.