Visit Hawaii if living in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am Costa Rican and have lived here all my life. We have black and white sand beaches, tropical waters, rainforest, ziplinning, and volcanoes. So considering everything we have here, I'm just wondering if a hawaiian vacation would be worth it in terms of finding the place exotic or different from Costa Rica. Or do you think it would be more of the same? Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well no two places can be exactly alike, and Hawaii is certainly very different in terms of history and local culture. But yes it has a lot of obvious similarities to Costa Rica.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM

There is no comparison as to Costa Rica and Hawaii. Hawaii is very touristy, (over) pricey, congested, and the same weather everyday. Costa Rica, has so much to offer, from the jungles, los playas, the mountains, the culture and "comida tipica", from Cartago to San Jose to Escazu, to Puerto Limon.

Anyways you can visit it for a change. Maybe you will love the difference, maybe you will hate it. But it will be an experience.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM

>

That statement is not true every step of the way.

How can you say ALL of the Hawaiian islands are "congested"? The city of Honolulu maybe, but Kauai, Big Island, upcountry Maui, Lanai... all "congested" really?

And it certainly does NOT have the same weather every day. And it can be as budget friendly or as expensive as you choose. I vacation once or twice a year on Oahu as a budget traveler.

stevews... have you been to Hawaii?
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I guess what I want to know is the differences that there are between Costa Rica and Hawaii, more from the tourist point of view.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Better roads . Infrastructure and plumbing. No suicide showers. Many different foods from the many different cultures which are a part of Hawaii's history. The volcanos in Hawaii are different than, say Arenal. Many are much older and Kilauea is much younger. The is also a great cowboy, paniolo culture on both Maui and the Big Island. Snorkeling is great. Rainforest is very different. Beaches are different.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you MichelleY !
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM

The culture is completely different. No better or worse, just different. I think the history is very interesting as well. I love them both. Sure much of the out door activities are similar, but the rest is very different.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM

Saphire, I found Hawaii very lifeless on land compared to Costa Rica, not much wildlife at all. But the snorkeling is great. I did find Maui very commercialized, Kauaii less so. But personally I prefered the Yucatan Pennisula for the combination of beautiful beaches and good snorkeling over Hawaii.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:32 AM

From a tourist point of view there is a lot to offer on Oahu about history like Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, etc.

I think the similarities are in physical landscape (beaches, jungles, mountains) but the culture and history entirely different. As mentioned already Hawaii is quite a mix up of native Hawaiian and all kinds of other influences (Polynesian, Asian, etc.)