Fripp Island, Tybee Island, and Jekyll Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow travelers. We are in Tybee Island. We drove down to Savannah for a nephew's high school graduation. High school graduation is a big thing here. I know it's nice anywhere, but here it seems bigger. We stayed one night at Fripp Island where we came when the kids were little. We went to four pools and two beaches, had dinner at the marina restaurant at the best corner table overlooking the marsh. Then to a house my sister in law rented for the family on Tybee. After graduation we ate at the Pink House (it's pink) and here at Tybee we've eaten at the Stingray Restaurant and the Breakfast Club. The Breakfast Club has very good homefries. Today we might see a blues festival. Tuesday night we're going to see a Sandgnats baseball game. I realize this trip report is a little boring so far.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM

No report including an assessment of home fries is boring, especially one of yours, sm.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

You're too kind. The blues festival was a little disappointing. Now we're sitting in the lobby of the holiday inn express where DW used the bathrooms and is asking where a bookstore is. Then we can read a book in one of the leafy squares. More later.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

E Shaver is supposed to be a good book store but not on sundays. CVS has surprisingly few books. We ended up in a square listening to two guys playing resonator blues on a dobro and harmonica. Quite good. They play at Lulu's Chocolate Bar tonight but we wont be there because we're back at the beach. One more swim before dinner.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

DW reports there was a cute pet pig on the beach today but the pig pooped whilst on the beach and his owner was given a ticket by the beach patrol that drives up and down the beach in a little jeep with a flashing red light on the roof. DW feels pigs shouldn't be on the beach. I myself did not see the pig.

Here's a link to the kind of guitar music we listened to today:

http://youtu.be/5SZIFHJIjEw
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM

home fries and pigs on the beach, what's not to love? if only the pig had whistled.........
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Yesterday we got to E. Shaver book store (new books)and Soho South (lunch), the Islands YMCA for DW's swim, the SCAD gift shop, another bunch of squares, the Book Lady Bookstore (used books), the beach, John Cougar Melloncamp's house on Tybee (we weren't invited in) and fixed pasta and shrimp for dinner. Today we've been to the beach and we're going into town again. Then we're going to a sand gnats game. Life is full. This is a nice way to visit Savannah in the summer. Rent a house at Tybee, spend some time at the beach and some time at the squares in savannah. Lots of hanging moss.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

It rained today. Left DW at her pedicure after Jepsom Museum and lunch at the Kayak Cafe and then got stuck in the rain. Long time waiting under vacant storefront awning for rain to stop. No umbrella. Needed bathroom. Couldn't find Owens-Thomas House on Oglethorpe Square. All squares look alike in the rain. Finally found Telfair Museum. Got a nice little tour from a docent who felt Savannah was the best place to retire in the whole country. Maybe he's right.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 07:01 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey santy, we drove down in the rain. NOT a good drive. Hanging out at Jekyll and hoping the rain has moved on for good.

Go to the Sea Turtle Center
http://www.georgiaseaturtlecenter.org/

There's a great kayak tour through the marshes -
http://www.tidelands4h.org/tours.html

If it's not raining, this is a great experience especially at sunset -
http://www.shrimpcruise.com/index.html

Check out the historic section of the "cottages" of the world's wealthiest. They created the Federal Reserve System here
http://www.jekyllislandhistory.com/federalreserve.shtml

I read your post on another thread but am responding here
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cmc and starrs for your comments, suggestions, and links. We went on a long bike ride through the forest and marsh. Visited the museum. Now pool. This Jekyll Island Club is a beautiful place. It's fun to hang with the spirits of the Morgans and Vanderbilts for a couple days.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Now we are on 95 north. Might go all the way to DC, might stop midway. Unfortunately, just missed a GTG with Starrs who happened also to be on Jekyll island yesterday. The island wasn't big enough for the both of us and she left early. Andrea spent the day raining on us but we went to Hatties book store and MaggyMae's in Brunswick for lunch and i got to swim in the ocean this morning at Jekyll before we left.

Here are links for sunsuites on Fripp and to the snazzy Jekyll island club:

http://www.frippislandresort.com/bre...es/Efficiency/

http://www.jekyllclub.com/mobile/
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I hate that we missed seeing you. It was a work trip for me although DF and the pups got to play on the beach. We drove through horrible, heavy Andrea rain halfway across the state. Safe travels to you and I'm enjoying your trip report

Maybe next time...