Virginia, DC and Maryland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 4 - (kids 14 and 16)considering a trip to Virginia,DC and Maryland in summer 2009. Coming from Indiana. Where would you recommend going? Things to do? Would love to white water raft in Virgina as well as show the kids some neat things in DC without boring them. Thanks.

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't help you with specifics about white water rafting, only to say that earlier in the summer would probably be better for rafting. Recent summers have been dry and our rivers low. You will find rafting in the western part of the state.
Other activities will depend on your interests. History, theme parks, more outdoor activities, beaches?
Monticello and Charlottesville are nice. So is the historic triangle of Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown which also include Busch Gardens and Water Country.
DC offers tons and you can search DC here to narrow it down.
Let us know more and we can help you better.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM

"You will find rafting in the western part of the state."
Actually you can go rafting on the James River through the center of Richmond. Depending on the water levels, you can find up to Class IV rapids and there is at least one company that provides equipment, guides, etc. www.riversideoutfitters.net
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the organization my daughter (a teen) went with last summer:

http://www.outdoorexcursions.com/cart/cgi-bin/store.cgi

Also Great Falls Park (National Park Service) is a great place for viewing the falls. Good hiking and climbing.

Neat things in DC without boring the kids? Come on, set the bar a little higher than that! What are their interests? Space, science, sports, history, spies...there's a lot to be seen.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM

You can raft up near Harpers Ferry although it can be less than exhilarating when the water levels are low.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM

For rafting, I recommend Harpers Ferry, VA area....you can raft on either the Potomac or the Shenandoah.

http://www.riverriders.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM

You can also go to West Virignia for Whitewater. That's some of the best rafting around on the New River. And you do need to go early in the summer.

Virginia is wonderful. What are you all interested in?
Birdie mentioned some good stuff. There are many other historic areas. Manassas Battlefield park (Bull Run for Southerners), etc.

Mount Vernon near DC.

Can you be a little more specific about your desired activities and length of stay and how much driving you are willing to do?

For example, if you base yourselves in DC it will take 5 hours driving (each way) at least to get to the place I suggested for rafting in WVa. And Charlottesville is 2 hours from DC, etc, etc.

Are these realistic suggestions or do you want activities withint a 1 hour or 1/2 hour driving radius of DC?

Are you looking for some time on the beach, too?
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM

If you're driving, I definitely recommend doing your whitewater rafting in WV, as another poster said. I recommend the Fayetteville area -- the New River rapids are somewhat tamer than the Gauley River. Both are through beautiful gorges. Take time to go see the New River Gorge Bridge near there, also.

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM

All the responses are very good, but it seems like no one has addressed what to do in Maryland. If time permits, please visit our Inner Harbor area in Baltimore. We are only 40 miles from D.C.
There is a lot to do. The National Aquarium, the Maryland Science Center, the ESPN Zone and Hard Rock Cafe are located within safe walking distance of each other.There are shops and restaurants there too. Please don't bypass our city if you get the opportunity.