Village Inn at Apgar vs Glacier Guides Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 8 nights in Glacier National Park in July. The first five nights will be at Many Glacier Hotel (it will really be 4 days, since we will be arriving well into the evening the first flight). We are experienced hikers in our sixties, at the moment out of shape, but hopefully that will not be the case in July. We are most interested in hiking, tending to alternate full day hikes with half day hikes, followed by lounging and reading. We do not have fear of heights, but prefer to avoid situations where if you fall, you die (i.e. very last part of Half Dome in Yosemite).

The last three nights we are spending in West Glacier. Currently we have two choices: Glacier Guides Lodge for three nights, which looks lovely and is just outside the park. Village Inn at Apgar is inside the park on a lake, also looks nice. We don't have third night yet, could spend at the Glacier Guides Lodge in theory though we prefer not to move around.

These look like two very good choices, but we don't know the park and would love help in knowing if one of the two is significantly better in location regarding hikes. That would be the deal breaker for us. There is also the question of how hard is it to get into the park in the morning. We live near Yosemite where lines can go on for almost an hour unless you get up early (which we would).

Final question: Does it really matter in which direction one drives the Road to the Sun road?

Thanks much.
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Glacier Guides Lodge is directly across the street (highway 2) from the west entrance of the park. It is approx. 2 Miles from the Village Inn which is IN the park on Lake McDonald. Entrance to the park after 9 or 9:30 can be REAL busy and could have a wait of 15/20 minutes. Therefore I would suggest the Village Inn. Also, just below Glacier Guides Lodge is a heavily used Burlington Northern/Sante Fe railroad line which could be noisy.

Many Glacier area is the gem of the park. Super great hikes in that area. Good choice!! Driving Going to the Sun Road should be done in both directions as you will get a different view each way.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 01:32 PM

I will be staying at the Village Inn at Apgar in August. It came highly recommended.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Just now saw these posts, thank you.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would skip the west side of the park and concentrate of the east and Many Glacier areas.

We wasted part of a day on the west side and now know better.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Will think about West Side issue (we have 4 nights on East side already).

Did those of you with Village Inn reservations get them a year and a day in advance or snag cancellations?
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Do NOT overlook the west side of park. Great hikes on that side are Huckleberry Lookout, Mt. Brown Lookout, Sperry Chalet, Trout lake and the all time favorite Granite Park Chalet also called Highline Trail.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:00 AM

I got my Village Inn reservations exactly one year in advance. I am staying 2 nights on the West side. So one full day. Staying longer in the Many Glacier area but still looking forward to seeing the West side. This will be my first time going to Glacier.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--we'll keep our reservations for 3 nights on West Side, but it will be 3 nights and 2 days. We will look keep looking for cancellations at Village Inn.

Hudsonguz--if you are ever Yosemite bound, for there it's a year and a day, not a year. Like everywhere, diligent checks for cancellations (several times a day) often pay off.