Search

Viewing fireworks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viewing fireworks

Does anyone know of a hotel where you can view the DC fireworks? any other good viewing spots?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM

To avoid the crowds, my co-worker who used to live in D.C. sugg. finding a nice little area along the grassy areas that line the Potomac. I'll be in D.C. during the 4th, too, and I'm pretty jazzed since I've never been.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:13 AM
LN

It's possibly late to find a hotel to watch the fireworks. They're usually booked a year in advance - sorry! You might call some and see if they have any availability or cancellations but it would be a slim chance.

If you have a good friend with a boat on the Potomac - that's a great place to watch the fireworks. As for the Virginia side of the river - it gets pretty crowded there too.

About the highest spot in DC is the washington Cathedral and I don't know if you could see the fireworks from there.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM
jtp

While checking prices for a Fall Date at the Willard, this offer was being advertised on their web site: 4th of July Presidential Extravaganza Fireworks Cruise

Presidential Yacht Package - July 4th, 2004

The 4th of July Presidential Yacht Package includes:

Red Carpet hotel departure
Pre-cruise cocktail and hors d'oeuvres reception in a luxury Willard Hotel suite
Transportation to and from the Sequoia Presidential Yacht
Cruise on the Potomac and view of national July 4th fireworks
Onboard buffet, open bar, music and dancing
Valet parking
Overnight deluxe accommodation at the Willard InterContinental (or transferable certificate for a one night stay valid for one year) with breakfast and parking
Special amenity
Cost per couple for the package is $1,450. Reservations are limited and on a first come, first serve basis. To book the Presidential Yacht Package, please call (202) 637-7455 or online by emailing Erika Castro at
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM

I think there are several tall hotels down there that could be good for that. The Willard, of course, and also the Hotel Washington and L'enfant Loews Plaza are kind of known for that.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:48 PM

The best place, in my opinion, to see the fireworks is the Washington Monument grounds. They set them off from an area, which will be fenced off, just west of the monument. Get to the monument early, bring a picnic supper, and spread out your blanket. When the fireworks start you can lie down and the fireworks will surround you. They seem so close you will feel like you could just reach up and touch them. And the booms will be incredibly loud--kids and guys especially seem to love the noise.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Two years ago, we viewed the fireworks from Fort Meyer in Virgina, from a big lawn in the residential area. Security at the entrance to Fort Meyer was very tight (it's a military post), but the view was great and it wasn't crowded. I don't know if it is still open to the public.

Various years we've also viewed from the Virgina side along the river, from an apartment roof in DC and at the Washington monument. All were great but I have to agree with Nicki...right at the monument is really great. Go early though; there will be huge crowds! Enjoy!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:41 PM

You just have to be there! Around the Wash. monument are lots of people all day picnicing. There is usually a pop concert around there. At 7 or 8 p.m. is a National Symphoney concert at the Capitol where there is a great view of the Monument, etc. At the other end by the Lincoln Memorial are great views around the reflecting pool. All require walking and being with lots of people. A local tip - the smoke from the fireworks gets thick and often hangs over the river...