Washington or Williamsburg for July 4th?

Apr 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Washington or Williamsburg for July 4th?

We will be in the east for July 4th. Would you rather spend the day and see the fireworks in Washington or Williamsburg? We love fireworks but enjoy the daytime pagentry too. Which do you think is better?
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I have to start by saying I have never spent the Fourth in either location... but I have been to both enough to offer my thought that DC will have a bit more to offer. Williamsburg is awesome for the lover of history and/or amusement parks. DC has the history but also a lot of events such as outdoor concerts along with the fireworks. I doubt you'll be dissappointed either way, but I'd still vote for DC.
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

I love our 4th of July celebration in Williamsburg. It always makes me feel very patriotic. Just listening to the Fife and Drum corps on the 4th gives me goosebumps. There will be events all day long and the majority of them will be along Duke of Gloucester ST. There will be a reading of the Declaration of Independence on the courthouse steps, marching Fife and Drum, a cake and ice cream social with live music in the Wren yard in the evening and then cannon firing and the fireworks at night.

You can have two nights of fireworks if you go to Busch Gardens the day before and watch their's.

There will be crowds here but they won't be as huge as the ones in the big city.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:59 AM

We spent 4th of July in DC a couple of years ago. We had a really great time. We positioned ourself so that the Washington Monument was in our background - which wasn't too hard.

We did have one rule when planning the trip - we had to find a hotel within walking distance of the Mall. I absolutely did not want to get near a car or public transportation. It was very crowded, but since we just walked everywhere there was no stress.

We got an amazing deal at the Hay-Adams Hotel - about $250 for one night plus the choice of a free breakfast or free parking. If you are planning to go, start checking their specials page now. This a very swanky hotel, you will feel pampered.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:08 AM

IF you decide to come to Washington I suggest you do what a lot of us who LIVE here do, either take the Metro to a spot near the Mall and walk from there or if you do have a car, aprk it somewhere far enough away from Constitution Avenue, etc., and walk or Metro from there.

There are some hotels from which you can view the firwroks from the roof area..such as the JW Marriott and then there is the AGE-OLD "issue" of where the "best" viewing spot is.

We have always opted for a spot right at the Washington Monument but that can have its own set of special "challenges."
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

The fireworks in DC are fabulous. And so are the crowds - but its so worth it. Get there early.

The Smithsonian Folklife festival on the national mall coincides with the 4th, so during the daylight you can enjoy the festival. http://www.folklife.si.edu/festival/2008/index.html

It will be hot (sunscreen, water).

The NSO (National Symphony) is situated on the grounds in front of the Capitol.

By all means, do what SavTrav suggests, make sure your hotel is walking distance. Since we're "locals" we've always done Metro, knowing we'd have a loooong wait afterwards. Walking to a hotel .... priceless.

DC has my vote.
Apr 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we can't lose. Being from a small town I appreciate the warning about traffic out of DC. I think we will likely enjoy Williamsburg. Thaks.
Apr 25th, 2008, 06:06 AM

We spent the 4th of July in DC last year and we enjoyed the festival at the Smithsonian and the fireworks at the Mall.
I would book a hotel in walking distance and enjoy walking around - we went to the National Cemetary too enjoyed all of the ceremonies there too!
You can't beat DC!
Apr 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM

If you head to Williamsburg, make sure you spend some time at Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. During the heat of that time of year you will especially appreciate the water rides! And as a previous poster indicated, you will be able to take advantage of the fireworks at Busch Gardens as well as in Williamsburg.

Search this Thread