Victoria Clipper from Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the Clipper from Seattle to Victoria recently? We're flying into Seattle in late April and would like to spend a couple of days in Victoria, but won't have a car. The reviews on TripAdvisor have been pretty mixed, but some of the bad ones seem to be mostly because of weather. Any first-hand other experiences?
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM

Hi dreamer320,

In my opinion, it was a fun way to get from the heart of Seattle to the heart of Victoria when I did it a few years back. A reasonably attractive ride, although the Sidney (Victoria) to Tsawwassen (Vancouver) ride had a slight edge in terms of scenery. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Clipper again.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM

I took the clipper several years ago also. The only problem was after we left Puget Sound and were in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, it got pretty bumpy and all the people who spent the first portion of trip filling-up on donuts, Danish and coffee were got, um...uncomfortable. However, the crew was well-prepared with saltines, towels and mops.

For variety, on the way back to Seattle, I took Kenmore Air which flies sea planes from Lake Union to Victoria Harbor. We flew relatively low and were able to see several whales during the trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done it. It was lots of fun. But it wasn't very "recently".
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM

We loved that trip. True, the Strait of Juan de Fuca can get a little rough, but it does not last that long, and the crew passed out ginger candies to suck on - which really helped.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it last spring. It wasn't noticeably rough - I don't get seasick, but no-one else seemed to have problems either. The alternative was train to Vancouver and ferry and that would have taken much longer, I think the plane was expensive.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 04:22 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Late April can indeed see bumpy conditions crossing the Strait. The ride is also pretty long - 3+ hours, and while scenic, often it's hard seeing too much because of spray (and of course rain if it happens - not our driest month.)

You might want to look at fly/hotel packages through Kenmore Air - www.kenmoreair.com - or even fly/Clipper combos, which are also common. (Fly one way, Clipper the other.)
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I took the Clipper over (luckily a glorious sunny day) and flew back. The float plane was a kick (sat in the co-pilot seat )

Was 3 days in Victoria w/o a car and had a great time. Next time -- If I were to stay longer, I would rent a car to do more exploring up island
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM

I also love the float plane- check their website for online specials.
Otherwise I take the Tswassassan ferry- much more scenic - but then you would need transportation to get there. I usually go as a walk on- take the bus to downtown Victoria- where I usually have family with a car.

I know the Strait can be a bit rough at times- but probably the easiest way to get there from Seattle.
Victoria is a beautiful city
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:08 AM

you need to read TA with a grain of salt. People with all sorts of issues post on there so you need to sort out the opinions that come from the rational from the least among us so to speak. anytime you step on a boat the ride will depend on how wavy/windy it is. boating 101
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:11 AM

oopsw....meant to say

you need to sort out the opinions that come from the rational from those that come from the least among us so to speak.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 08:08 PM

<anytime you step on a boat the ride will depend on how wavy/windy it is. boating 101>

Another boating 101 point is that you will feel a windy/wavy day more in a smaller sized vessel. Just took the Port Angeles ferry this summer, and quite windy outside both ways. Couldn't tell a thing while inside the ferry while walking around. Port Angeles is not close to Seattle; I am not recommending it in your case. But that is likely what people are comparing the Clipper to.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we're going to do it, even though dh tends to get queasy easily. We honeymooned in Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver 25 years ago, and I'd hate to get back to Seattle and not relive a little time in Victoria while we're there!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"even though dh tends to get queasy easily."

They handout seasick pills on the ferry.

From one of my trip reports: >>they made several announcement that they sell Mec-lizine (sp?) for 25¢. I don't usually get seasick but they were pushing the meclizine and it was pretty windy so figured what the heck. I figured - for 25¢ it can't be much of a dose. Once again I figure wrong. I took the two tiny pills and while I didn't exactly sleep across to Victoria -- I wasn't exactly awake either Maybe it was the beer instead ??
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 08:23 AM

Bookmarking for good info. for a future trip.