Valley of Fire or Red Rock Canyon?

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valley of Fire or Red Rock Canyon?

Hello,
Could you suggest me half a day thing to do from Vegas, either Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire? I might do Valley of Fire (not sure) on the way back from Zion & Bryce Canyon, and Hoover Dam while going to Grand Canyon from Vegas.
So please suggest which one is good?
Also, are there any petroglyphs to be found at any of these canyons or Zion, Bryce or Grand Canyon South rim, or can anyone suggest if there are any on my way?
Thanks-Preeya
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Hey, we did that loop, pretty much, in and out of LV.

Red Rock Canyon is very impressive -- they do have petroglyphs on some rocks, with metal steps that you can climb up to see better. Absolutely stunning scenery all around. We stopped there on the way from LV to Zion (took a picnic lunch with us), and really liked it.

Didn't get to VoF. Hoover Dam was really neat, too, but I think they have restricted access to tours lately...

Flagstaff was a nice town to stop in -- we visited the observatory and really liked the tour.
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Valley of Fire has petroglyphs. And it's spectacular! Red Rock is less so. If you don't have time for both, of course the Valley!
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Never been to Red Rock Canyon, but Valley of Fire was super! Got some pix in an album at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Been to both - and liked Valley of Fire a lot better. VoF has a slot canyon, fascinating red rock scenery, including arches, and tons of petroglyphs. Take the hike to Mouse's Tank and there are petroglyphs all along the way.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think I will plan a trip to VoF now.
Preeya
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
OO

We really enjoyed Mouse's Tanks too, Karens and the fun of finding petroglyphs ourselves, more so than the metal stairway...all those are spectacular and there'd be no other way to see them, but I preferred the more natural approach.

There is also a section of petroglyphs in Zion, but you will have to ask for directions from the rangers station to get to them (other side of the tunnel as you head east, then down a bank and walk along the base of a cliff near a creek bed...suddenly, there they are...including some interesting depictions of sex acts...first of those we've seen). Our daughter's husband is an anthropologist, knew of them and had wanted to find them. We were skeptical at first but it was well worth the drive.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

We loved Valley of Fire. My first thought was thast Wyle E. Coyote and the Roadrunner would come zipping around the bend any minute. No, really, I thought that!

Seriously, the petroglyphs and rock formations are incredible. It's how I picture Mars would look!

Have a great time!
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I loved the Valley of Fire -- went early on a Sunday AM in January when hardly no one else was there. We got some of the coolest pictures, and really loved watching the colors change as the sun rose higher in the sky. You do feel like you are seeing the same stuff as the Indians (and settlers) 200 years ago.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM

If I had to choose one, Valley of Fire without a doubt. Bring lots of film for pictures. When I go out to Vegas, I go to Red Rock Canyon first, then the next day I go out to Valley of Fire. The last time I was in Vegas, Hyundai was shooting a commercial for one of their SUV's in VoF, talked to a cop & he said they shoot a car-commercial out there every week.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Definitely one more vote for Valley of Fire if you only have time for one. Like the others have said, very stunning scenery, easily accessible petroglyphs.

Make sure you keep driving past the rainbow vista to the white domes. Loved it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:02 AM

We have been to both and I could not choose one over the other. They are both very different and spectacular. More petroglyphs at Valley of Fire...but I prefer the hikes at Red Rock. Red Rock is also so close to Las Vegas...that makes it a quick relaxing getaway.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone, I'mso excited now to see VoF and the petrogylphs! Will also check at Zion if possible for them as you suggested OO.
Preeya
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I agree V of F is the best of the two! The Damn was pretty much closed to touring since 9/11. We did it before and had a great tourbut we went back last year after but it is not worth it now! They will not let one stop on the Damn. They had a road check of cars too.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:15 AM

I loved the Valley of Fire (Ants... as my brother would say).

it's beautiful! just stunning. we saw a wedding out there - very small affair, barely ten people - and the photographer says he shoots several weddings a week out there. I can see why. serene and beautiful.