Vallejo question - Mare Island??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading a tourist booklet (I confess!) I found this: tour historic Mare Island, Naval shipyard, Tiffany Glass at St Peter's Chapel, cemetary, Admiral mansion, museum.

The web address they have took me to the Baylink ferry website. I know how to get on the ferry, but then what?

Where are those places I've never heard of? Are they within walking distance to the Vallejo dock? Are they right there?

Or should I give up the whole idea and go elsewhere instead? (and don't tell me where to go, LOL)
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM

This is the funniest question I've read today...it ranks right up there with "Is Gary Indiana a nice place to visit"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...id=1&tid=46475
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Hi Faina, you take the ferry to Vallejo but Mare Island is across the water, the Napa River..no you wouldn't want to walk. I am surprised that you never heard of Mare Island..for shame, lol. You could contact the Vallejo Visitor Convention Center. Their new website is www.visitvallejo.com

Vallejo also has Six Flags Marine World.

There are taxis, but personally I would not use them. I suppose you could hire a limo but the expense would not be worth it IMO. Best to drive so that you would have a car to get around.

If you do come to Vallejo by car think about going east on I-780 for about 7 miles which will bring you to the small city of Benicia. You would probably enjoy your visit in Benicia.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both

So between walking on water and hiring a limo... I'll stay in the city!

The booklet's description sounds great! It's probably a tour some company is doing, but I will not be the one to find out.

Thank you, I've been to Benicia. And Marine World. Even Antioch! Saps, don't bother to laugh, my friend lives there.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I admire you Faina...to be such a world traveler that you are now ready to check Vallejo off your list...that is amazing .

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I know! It was up there right before Paris, now I can go to Europe! Whew!!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Wait! Before Paris, well .... there's still Suisun City.

BTW, having passed by that sign to Mare Island thousands of time along Hwy. 37, we have never known what's in there until this thread.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Faina, IF you change your mind and decide to go to Mare Island - DON'T wear white tennis shoes - Paris yes, Mare Island no.

Nina
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I solemnly swear not to wear tennis shoes, fanny packs, baseball hats, t-shirts with pictures of rock bands, shorts and socks WHILE VACATIONING ON THE MARE ISLAND.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Faina...you got the don'ts taken care of.

The do's: Wear capris, flip flops and make sure to take a money belt. The theives are tricky in that part of the Bay Area.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Saps, I know. Believe me, I know. That's why I'm thinking of relocating to Gary, Indiana.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Faina --- Gary, Indiana -you can't get there from here.

Nina
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Actually Faina, atheletic shoes, baseball caps (worn backwards of course) T-shirts with vulgar sayings etc. will be perfect for Vallejo. And don't forget the drugs, sigh. Oh won't the Vallejo C of C love me, lol.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

OK, you guys had convinced me - tonight I'll be out shopping for flip-flops and drugs. Do I have to carry the prescription with me if I conceal them in the money belt?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM

There's nothing left at Mare Island is there? Used to be the "moth ball" fleet but all those ship are gone now aren't they, or almost?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Hi Crefloors, the mouthball fleet is in Suisun Bay which is east of the Benicia-Martinez bridge. The fleet has a lot less mothballed ships as they have been removed over the years. There was an article about two weeks ago that two more ships are going to be removed.

The former Mare Island Naval Shipyard was closed down by the US Navy. It is now under the control of the City of Vallejo.

There are many businesses on Mare Island now. And a man is trying to work out establishing a ship repair yard on Mare Island, but as usual there is the constant bickering going on about that.

There is a new housing development on Mare Island now. I think the houses start at about $700,000.00. The Vallejo Unified School District is going to move their administration offices to Mare Island.

There was a wine storehouse on Mare Island where expensive wines were stored for smaller wineries that did not have their own storage space. A fire, authorities state it was arson but the investigation is ongoing, destoyed it but just today the owner of the wine storehouse stated he is almost to the point of rebuilding this.

The golf course is still there along with what Faina mentioned.

The USS Iowa, a WWII ship is desired by the locals..as a ship museum on the waterway. But the City of Stockton also wants the USS Iowa so who knows what the end results of that will be.

Now isn't that more than you ever wanted to know my dear!!!

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Do you have a list of hotels and restaurants for our upcoming convention?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:12 PM

thanks LoveItaly,
I was wondering about that "Mare island" request on that convention thread...

Sounds like a wonderful venue for the convention Faina...oh do go and check it out and come back with a complete "Mare Island Trip Report". Pretty...pretty please.

There may even be a chocolate reward
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM

Thanks LoveItaly. Inquiring minds wanted to know and actually that's not the ONLY piece of usless information I have stored in my little pea brain. LOL
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

JaGirl, ummm... NO!

But I can post the Great Highway Street Fair report if I'll go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -