Search

Valet Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valet Tipping

Hi All--As we get closer to our Maui trip, we are now contemplating the "nitty-gritty" of where all of our "extra" money will go. One area where we are confused is in the tipping of Valets at the resorts. Do you normally tip both as you leave your car and as you receive your car? I understand that most valets pool their tips, but if we're out for the entire day, the morning valet may miss out when we return. I tried to find this answer on another site, but just couldn't get a straight answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:56 AM
GoTravel

We tip a two dollars when we receive our car and two dollars when we drop it off.

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
gyppielou

Many will say tip on your return. I'm more comfortable tipping a dollar each time I pass or take my keys from a valet. Mind you we may take a morning trip, afternoon trip and evening trip, so I find $6 a day adequate. If there is more interaction, directions perhaps, then $2 is good. Bellhop $5-10 unless they are simply wonderful...bringing fresh ice, offering to help with dinner reservation, acclimating you personally to the property....then $20 for sure. You will have a blast!!!

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM
gyppielou

Ooops, one more thing, when checking in. if the valet helps in anyway to unload our car when we have a lot of personal items, then definately $5. Otherwise the $1 works in and out.

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:09 AM
gyppielou

Oh I hope I don't seem cheap GoTravel! If I'm tipping dinner valet, then of course not $1. But in and out at a hotel...I start with $1 and work my way up, as service and friendliness allow! Ciao Bella!

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I checked with my friend who is a manager at a big resort.

The valets expect tips when they bring you your car...$2 being the norm. They do not expect them when you drop off, although some people do.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I agree with what others have said. I give nothing when I drop a car off and $2 when I pick it up. Valets in places like LA and LV always seem satisfied. In towns like Portland, Oregon, they seem grateful.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM

I also tip $2 when I get my car back - I believe that is the norm (here in DC anyway)
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:11 PM

To be on the safe side I'd give the "valets" $2.00 each time you use their services (dropping off and picking up). You're right. Some pool their tips, some don't. If you're checking in or out with say 4 or 5 bags, give the "doorman" a $5.00. $10.00 is usually what the "bellman" sees for bringing your bags up to the room, getting you some ice etc. But it's totally up to you. If you're in doubt about how much or who to tip, just ask the valet "So how does this work? I don't want to slight anyone...you guys pool your tips or what?" Believe me, the valets appreciate the honesty and you'll get an honest answer back.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Since the valet who takes your car and parks it when you arrive, probably won't be the same valet who delivers the car back to you, $1 for each seems fair -- regardless of whether or not they pool their tips.

As for bags, $1 per bag -- but I've gotten _really_ good at pulling my own bags outta the trunk before the bellhop can get to 'em. With rollers on all of them, I can do it myself, thank you! 8-)

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I think tipping valets varies from city to city. Also, if you have to pay for valet service (like at 5-star resorts or near the beach or in the city where parking is always charged on a daily basis) then that also figures in to what you give the valet.

For example, almost ALL valet parking in Vegas is free, all you do is tip the guy. So, since I'm not paying to park my car already, then I will give the valet $5-10 (depending on swiftness of car return) when I depart the hotel.

While, in LA, when I go to Standard Hotel for drinks on a Saturday night, valet parking already costs $45 - and I'm sorry if I'm being cheap, but if I have to pay freaking $45 for valet parking, then the valet is only getting another $2-5 for a tip.

I almost never give a tip when I'm dropping off the car, unless I'm asking the valet to leave my car up front - in that case, I will drop a $10 for the convenience of having my car up front, and then another $10 when I leave.

Honestly, for high-tourist areas like Hawaii (in your case) I would probably just tip on the way out, and it would go something like $2-5.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM

It depends on if its a rental, or not. If you want the valet to take care of your car, I would give them something everytime you see them.

Being in Hawaii I am sure you will have a rental, so give them something that they can put towards their rent.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure it may vary from place to place, but I'm comfortable with a little each time I come and go.