Valdez must see/do?

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valdez must see/do?

Our group of 7, ranging in age from 8 to 77, will have1.5 days in Valdez. The older members of the group are considering a sightseeing cruise on PWS...any recommendations? The rest of us are thinking about sea kayaking(all first-timers),rafting in Keystone canyon and/or hiking.

Any advice to maximize our experience is appreciated. Also, we are headed to Kennicott Glacier Lodge for 3 nights following Valdez.

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM

http://www.anadyradventures.com/index.html This a great Kayaking trip with several options.
http://www.stanstephenscruises.com/default.htm
This is a great glacier seeing cruise. They have two.
I have also done the rafting. Anyone 1 of these you choose will be fun. Also some of your group might a tea room in Valdez. You def should see the Water falls that are out on 7 mile. This is coming into Valdez. Are you coming in on a cruise?
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:43 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Hi patpatsmom!
we are flying into Anch, then taking a ferry out of Whittier the next day. I think the ferry gets in to Valdez at 12:45, so we have a good part of that day, plus the next.

Could you elaborate on the "tearoom".

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Stan Stephens runs great boat tours, But the Valdez museum on Egan is also worth a look. Frankly 3 days in Kennicott is a LONG time with this age range.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM

This is just a follow-up to Budgetqueen's recommendation for one of the Stan Stephens' cruises. My husband and I just returned from Valdez this week, and we went on the Columbia and Meares Glacier cruise through the Stan Stephens line. We felt like it was "first class" all the way. It seems a little pricey, but we felt it was worthwhile. We saw 4 black bears, bald eagles, puffins, lots of sea otters and sea lions, mountain goats, and dall porpoises. The porpoises swam right along with the boat, and it was pretty neat to see that. We'd definitely recommend it - nice, comfortable boat, great scenery, and the staff seem to know where the animals are.