Alaska - 26 Glacier cruise or Kenai Fjords cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if these two cruise are similar, if so, which is the better option if I only plan on one of these cruises? If the two are different, what are the primary differences?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM

I have never taken a Kenai Fjords cruise, but know that it is quite different from a Prince William Sound cruise. The PWS cruises are offered by Major Marine and 26 Glaciers and depart from Whittier vs. Seward. You will probably see more glaciers than wildlife. They are also slightly shorter in duration (5.25 vs 6-7.5 hours)

Here is some information you can use to compare each: http://alaska.org/glaciers/glaciers.htm

http://alaska.org/glaciers/advice-ke...ce-william.htm

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM

We took the 26 Glaciers cruise in June 2007 instead of Kenai Fjords cruise because we wanted to avoid motion sickness and also have a greater chance to see glaciers calvings. We did see a lot of glaciers calvings at Surprise Glacier. It was so awesome! However they only made two stops to have a closer look of the glaciers and you can only see other glaciers from afar including the College Fjord glaciers.

There were two things kind of disappoint me. Since the catamaran is a high speed boat, you can't really stay out on the deck due to the high wind unless they make a stop. Another thing is the seating arrangement. We are a family of four and their booth can seat six people. They assign another couple to sit with us so we only have one window seat on one side. The booth for six people is kind of cramp, we have to put our bags on the floor. Make sure you ask for the seating arrangement when you make the reservation.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I have taken both boat tours, numerous times. They are completely different. AND certainly, both, excellent.

There ARE several DIFFERENT PWS boat tours. Blackstone Bay, Esther Passenger, and the one mentioned above, short looks at "26" glaciers. Again, each worthwhile, but I do give the edge to Esther Passage, which is the longest trip.

Take precautions if prone to motion sickness. I do not agree that "substituting" a PWS tour because of this potential, perhaps a good reason to skip a Kenai Fjords trip. It isn't. There are excellent products to consider, consult a health care profession for advice.