Last night and day in Northern California

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night and day in Northern California

Hi Group - I have lurked for years and benefited from all of you insights and experience. My family - two adults + girl 14 and boy 11 are spending 12 nights in Northern California starting Sunday. We have 5 nights in San Francisco, 2 nights in Monterey/Big Sur, 1 night in Sequoia, 3 nights in Yosemite Valley and one night unaccounted for before 10:00 pm flight from SFO back to Atlanta. Any suggestions for a one night adventure? - Gold Country?, Wine country?, Sausalito? Back to the City ? Budget could be up to $400 (preferably less) for the last night. Many thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
trippinkpj

Half Moon Bay is about 40/45 minutes from SFO via hwy 92 to 101. It's beautiful, and see a link for thr Ritz Carlton:
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/RESORTS/HALF_MOON_BAY/
If it's over your budget, check Half Moon Bay on www.tripadvisor.com.

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Spend the night in Sonora (north of Yosemiteon hwy. 49), visit Columbia which is an old mining town turned into a state park.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Sonora, Angles Camp, Jackson, or Placerville on Highway 49 are good choices, explore the Gold Country OR, do Lake Tahoe, lots of hotel choices and not a bad drive back to SFO.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM

I would get back to SF and tour Marin Headlands(The classic view from North of the Bridge), Muir Woods and the Hwy 1 coast, starting at Sausalito, up over Mt. Tam to Stinson Beach and up to Olema, then back to San Rafael and down 101.
The Bay Model is fascinating to most kids(and adults)
http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/bmvc/
Then, a nice last meal of your choosing
in the city. This would get you a last taste of Mountains, Redwoods, and Ocean and wouldn't leave you worn out and/or missing your plane.

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Hi wisedes, if it was me I would follow bbqboy's suggestion..a very good one IMO. It would be a beautiful day and so much less stressful being closer to SFO. Best wishes and enjoy your time in California.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone and thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I wish we had another week. We are presently in Monterey and this is the last night with convenient web access before whale watch in the a.m. then Deetjens, Big Sur hiking and Yosemite Curry Village cabin (Sequoia got deleted for this trip).

SF was an absolute delight in spite of kids stomach bugs (and visit to emergency room - another story, will recap later). Night visit to Alcatraz was a highlight. Stayed in wonderful VRBO apartment on Telegraph Hill. North Beach neighborhood is fantastic for food, coffee and people watching.

We've decided to return to SF for our last night - we had planned to visit Marin Headlands, Muir Woods and Mt. Tam but got sidelined for a day with illness so this will make up for it. Bay Model sounds great for us too. Thanks bbq. Ajoining rooms at Cow Hollow will not break the bank and will give everyone a little space after the Yosemite cabin. We'll also get one more nice dinner before departure (bbq and I are on the same track there).

What a great , beautiful part of the country, we're having a blast! Thanks again.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM

We had the exact problem on our last trip to CA. I wonder if Norwalk virus is picked up on airplanes as often as it is on cruise ships??? Hope all are recovering well!

Anyway, we are all anxiously awaiting your detailed trip report when you return home!