Vail help: lodging, cars, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all -- once again, I'm counting on you helpful folks for a little advice. My girlfriend and I have just decided to fly to Vail the first week of March. A few questions:

1) Any ideas where to stay? I know our choices may be limited, but we're (possibly unrealistically) hoping not to spend much more than $225 a night. We will likely have a rental car, if that makes a difference.

2) Speaking of cars, assuming we rent a car and drive it from Denver, will we even be able to use it? Some people here have said Vail is a "no cars" community.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Vail is spread all along I 70. There's East Vail, Vail, West Vail. Unless you are staying well outside the village there is no reason for a car. Vail is not car friendly. Even finding parking for skiing can be a problem. There is good bus/shuttle service to town center and lifts.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
MaureenB

You will need transportation from DIA to Vail, so that might determine your choice of car or not. Try pricing the shuttles round-trip, vs. a car rental. I agree Vail isn't a place where a car is a requirement, but it might be cheaper if you don't pay daily parking. Have fun planning your trip.
>-

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the car advice. As far as I can tell, renting a car is actually cheaper than a round-trip shuttle -- I found a car for $145 for four and a half days.
Any ideas on lodging? Right now I'm looking at either the Holiday Inn or the Park Meadows.
Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM

I stayed years ago at the Park Meadows. The unit are pretty small but more than adequate for 2 people. You can walk to the lifts at the Cascade. We also took the shuttle form the Cascade at night to go to the village. Personally I have never found a place with a better price for the accommodations and location.

If that does not work for you try renting a condo direct from owners. http://denver.backpage.com/rentals/c...?category=5420

http://denver.craigslist.org/vac/

are both places that often have good deals.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM

oops wrong link above
http://denver.backpage.com/rentals/c...?category=5418
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM

Hi!

About where to stay, consider making a detailed search using rentalo.com. They have a property finder tool that enables you to specify budget, dates, number of people, number of rooms you want, etc. I have found it highly convenient many, many times when I have had a couple of desired criteria for a property, and can save you lots of time of browsing the web.

It can give you an idea of the prices you may expect for a vacation rental/condo in the area.

Here is the link to their Val page:

http://rentalo.com/web/common/newSearch.cgi?lid=1518
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, all. Anyone ever try the Alpine Creek B and B? Sounds nice.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Was just there over Christmas and New Year's Eve...I would look at flying into THe Eagle Vail airport as opposed to Denver and travel to Vail. No you don't need a car there. There is lots of construction going on in Lionshead...glad we weren't staying there. We were at Manor Vail at foot of Golden Peak. Great location, breakfast included.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Your cost for a rental car sounds good BUT does that include all fees and taxes?? They can add a lot to the cost of rental cars at DIA.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Yup -- that's everything but insurance, which I have through my own insurance company.