vacation rentals for empty nesters!

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacation rentals for empty nesters!

We need advice! My husband and I are recent empty nesters, and have decided that instead of buying the traditional lakehouse or cabin or condo, we will spend 2-3 weeks at a time 4 times a year and rent a cottage/condo/ vacation home. We know we want to go to Carmel. Other than that, we would love to hear where you have gone and really love, as we would like to go to some different places! We would like to really feel like we are "living" there. We enjoy outdoor patios, cool shops, great food and atmosphere, wine,nature, golf, and people watching. We live in Dallas, so Texas is out. We have been everywhere here. Would love some input. THANKS!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM

shezoolover--
My husband and I only rent hotel rooms when necessary. When we are going to a destination to stay any length (such as 3 days or more) we always try to rent a condo or vacation home. We have had good luck with Vacation Rentals by Owner, www.vrbo.com

We have stayed in Sedona twice at this property:
http://www.vrbo.com/42121
and next year when we return we are staying here....
http://www.vrbo.com/12278

But...there are many, many places on the site. We were trying to work out a trip to Waikiki or Maui this year and used the site to contact owners. We have also used the site and/or independent rentals for Siesta Key, FL; Amelia Island, FL; Marco Island, FL; Venice, FL, South Padre Island (where you won't want to go ) probably others I am forgetting about at the moment...but there are loads and loads of towns to choose from. Other ways we have located condos are just to Google "vacation condo rental + the city name".

Good luck, you are going to have a blast as empty nesters!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I would suggest getting the following books:
* Northern California Cabins and Cottages, Stienstra Published by Moon

* Cabins & Cottages of California, Tom & Marthea Thompson Published by Rustic Getaways

* Northern California Off the Beaten PAth, Williams, Published by The Globe Pequot Press

* Weekend Adventures for City-Weary PEople Overnight Trips in Northern California

We've selected several of the recommendations and been delighted. A few of teh cabins were more rustic than what we thought but there was always something else that made up for it...LIke from Weekends for City weary people..Hartsook Inn in Piercy CA. Cabin was rustic but in teh middle of teh redwoods on Eel River. The restaurant across the hiway was 4 star...
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Sounds like Palm Desert or La Quinta in California would fit your style. There are a lot of patio-style golf course condos that are rented on a weekly and monthly basis (you do better to rent by the month, btw).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks a bunch. sounds like california is a must. Anyone have other places they have rented 2/3 weeks in other parts of the country or even mexico/caribean? Since we are finally empty nesters, we probably don't want a location with lots of "kidlets" ya know??
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM

1Jar- That is cool there is a cabin and cottage book for Nor Cal by Tom Stienstra. I have bought his California Camping book a couple of times.