Vacation in Lanikai on Oahu. Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our two kids were on Oahu last year and fell in LOVE with the little community of Lanikai on Oahu. We stayed in a B&B for three nights. It was so charming, and the beach there was stunning for swimming! Lanikai would be my dream home (we live in San Diego) Waikiki is just loud and touristy!
This summer sometime( while the kids are out of school) we'd like to find a longterm rental. But I'm told houses to rent there are nearly impossible to find. Any ideas? We'd prefer to rent a house from a private individual/family, not some vacation rental agent, who'll charge us $250 night etc. Please let me know if anyone knows someone in Lanikai who would be interested in renting their home for a month or so this summer. Thanks, Wendy
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Wendy - try www.vrbo.com - vacation rentals by owner. I've used this site several times, and I think there are some Lanikai listings. It definitely is a beautiful area!!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Wendy..What was the name of your B & B in Lanikai? I'm on a hunt for lodging in that area and do appreciate personal recommendations. Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately weekly rentals are high on Oahu (compared with outer islands). I was on Lanikai for a week in 2001 and paid $250 a night.

It certainly is not impossible to find a condo just more costly. Keep looking, do a search "lanikai vacation rentals". We used Pat's Kailua but I can't recommend them. That was three years ago perhaps they have improved. If nothing else check out the properties and then see if the owners will rent to you directly. The rates will no doubt be the same but I would have preferred dealing with an owner directly too, in this instance.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:45 AM

I'll second using vacation rentals by owner. We did to rent a one bedroom apartment in Lanikai in January for $165/night. You might be able to find a two bedroom apartment for your price but I don't know about a house.