Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

has anyone ever rented a condo from VBRO in Waikiki?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I sent serveral inquiries to a few condos I was interested in renting for a week in August since it seems to be the cheapest way to go. Anyhow, I got one response back, but it was a "on behalf of the owner" email. So I was a bit leary. Although he gave me the owners contact number, but says to ask for his secretary. I have a contract, seems legit. So I typed in the complexs' name and I see that the condo I'm looking to rent is forsale. Should I be worried that this is a scam? The name is Discovery Bay...if anyone knows of any reputable places to rent from I would appreciate it or if you have been caught up in a scam, please share! Thanks!!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM

I have one reserved thru vrbo.com for 14 nights the end of June. So far all transactions & communications between me and the owners have been pleasant and all looks well. I guess it's just the luck of the draw - some owners are probably easier to contact/work with than others. Have you only found one that you're interested in? I know when I was searching I sent a zillion emails (via the vrbo.com website) and got almost all of them back with good info that I used to narrow it down and finally make a choice. Maybe you should go back online to the website and see if any others would work for you and see what kind of a response you get from those owners. You could also try vacationrentals.com - "my" condo (don't I wish!?) is also listed there so maybe you'll find something else that suits you. Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Here's a map of Waikiki. It has many of the condos.

Discovery Bay is right across from the Ilikai & close to Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The individual condo is probably legit. But I don't think I would rent something that you need to go through a middle man, especially if that condo is for sale.

You can print the map & plot places you are interested on the map.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure. There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

Resortquest has some decent condos:

www.resortquesthawaii.com
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I checked out #6141 including regerences but in the end decided it was too small for the three of us. The owner answered all questions promptly. It's pretty much above Eggs n'Things on Kalakaua.
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not thru VBRO but we rented a condo in January direct from an owner in Waikiki & it worked out fine (one of Pat Winston's units at the Hawaiian King hotel).