Utah Trip...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Trip...any thoughts?

Utah/Arizona Itinerary
Sept '04
We visited Utah last September and missed so much that we?re going back with a plan refined by last year?s experience. We?re spending two nights in Torrey and more time in Moab as well. Covering some old ground but adding some new stuff in places we liked the last time around.
Day 1
Arrive Las Vegas
Pick up Jeep Grand Cherokee, Liberty or Dodge Ram.
We prefer the Jeep GC.
Drive to Springdale
Arrive approx. 9 PM
Lodging: Desert Pearl

Day 2
Hike Angel?s Landing
& perhaps one more trail
Dinner in Springdale
We liked Oscar?s last time. Ideas?
2nd night Desert Pearl,

Day 3
We?re skipping Bryce this trip.
Heading to Boulder via Cottonwood Canyon Rd.
with visits to Grosvenor Arch & Kodachrome Basin.
Lodging: Boulder Mountain Lodge

Day 4
We want to find the Moqui Marbles so we?ll start the
day with a trip to Big Spencer Flats unless we find out
they?re too far from the beaten path. The rest of the day
will be devoted to exploring the Hole in the rock road. Any
ideas on a reasonably accessible slot canyons? An alternative
would be to do the Hell?s Backbone Rd. Loop back to Bouldertown.
Any thoughts?
Boulder Mountain Lodge, Boulder

Day 5
Head to Torrey via Burr Trail and Notom Rd.
Any suggestions for scenery and a short hike (1-2 hours
?I think we?ll have time for one)?
Lodging: Capital Reef Inn

Day 6
We were thinking of fording the river and checking out
Cathedral Valley but, with all the driving the day before, we?re
thinking we?ll want to spend the day hiking in Capitol Reef instead.
We?re looking for some hike ideas. We?re good for up to 7 or 8 miles
at the most on moderate trails. We sure we can do Angel?s Landing
if that helps.
2nd night, Capital Reef Inn, Torrey

Day7
This is a big day for us. We need to be all provisioned for the day and out the door early to drive and hike to the Grand Gallery. We?re capable of a pre dawn departure from Torrey to get to the trailhead by a reasonably early hour. Any thoughts?
We?ll then head to Mob.

Lodging: River Canyon Lodge/Microtel
Since we?re splurging in Springdale & Bouldertown, we opted for this place
In Moab.

We?re open to any dining suggestions in Moab. We have vegetarian tendencies but I also love a good tenderloin. We enjoy all kinds of ethnic food and would love to hear of any good mexican/southwestern fare in Moab.

Day 8
We?ll probably hike in arches. Last time we did the Devil?s Garden Loop past landscape Arch including the ?primitive trail? back. Any though on a similarly remote trail?
2nd night, River Canyon Lodge, Moab

Day 9
We?re planning on checking out the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands. Any suggestions on an interesting but moderate 4WD road and a good hike in that area would be greatly appreciated.
3rd night River Canyon Lodge, Moab

Day 10
Head to North Rim Grand Canyon
Lodging: Grand Canyon Lodge
(Yes, we have reservations)

Day 11
We?ll explore the GC today.
Hike suggestions?
We?re planning on sunset at Toroweap.
2nd night at Grand Canyon Lodge

Day 12
Aarrgh!
Drive to Las Vegas
Arrive home approx. 12 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the "?". Fodor's didn't like MS word I guess.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM

sharondi,

Day 4, I have no suggestions but I want a trip report when you get back!!!!

Day 5, Burr Trail is fantastic. Noton road was very bumpy and kind of boring. We did this many years ago. Let me know if the road has improved any!

Day 7, again never did this and I am so JEALOUS!!!!

Day 8, If you haven't done Delicate Arch...you HAVE to do that one!

Day 9, Take the Shafer Trail up to Island in the Sky district with a quick side trip on the White Rim trail to Musselman Arch and then take Long canyon back to the Potash Road and Moab. Mesa Arch is a fast little hike but well worth the time. I also liked the hike at Grandview Point.

Day 10 from Moab to N. Rim is going to be a killer. You better plan on leaving Moab very early.

Utahtea...can I go?

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:13 AM
maj

Agree -- Delicate Arch was our favorite in Arches. Another one we liked was Double O Arch--half the fun is getting there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:11 AM

Do the Narrows in Zion if there's no rain predicted. It's a once in a lifetime kind of thing! Dave
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi Sharondi,

What a great trip you have planned! I live here and am still jealous. Never get tired of the great hiking, scenery and everything else Utah has to offer for adventurous people!

You'll love the Desert Pearl - excellent. Try Zion Pizza & Noodle in Springdale, great pizza and pasta, casual, fun. Also recommend hiking the Narrows if weather permits.

Cottonwood Canyon Rd is slow going because the road is badly washboarded. If you don't know what that means, you will by the time your teeth have rattled out of your head! Grosvenor Arch is well worth every mile. In between Kanab & the Cottonwood Rd. turn off from the highway, check out the ghost town of Paria. Many western films have been done here including Outlaw Josie Wales.

I just spend Mem weekend at Boulder Mtn Lodge. Very nice, rooms large & comfy, but not spectacular. Nice hot tub, views, bird watching. Great restaurant - need advance reservations even if you're a lodging guest.

Hell's Backbone is spectacular. Very appropriately named. Do the Calf Creek Falls hike very early in the day. Absolutely beautiful! (Wear your swimming suit for a dip in the natural pool at the base of the falls.)

Agree with Utahtea that Burr Trail is wonderful, but once past the switchbacks, it's a long and boring drive to Capital Reef. I would recommend taking a out and back trip on the paved section of Burr Trail. Then continue up and over Bolder Mtn on Hwy 12. If you are going in Oct, you will go through a wonderful forest of golden aspen trees and have amazing vistas of over a 100 miles! Much better than Notom Rd.

I really like the Hickman Bridge and Golden Throne hikes at Captial Reef.

In Torrey, be sure to get a dinner at Cafe Diablo - one of the best restaurants in Utah. Need advance reservations.

Arches - my favorite hikes are Delicate Arch and the Firey Furnace. Firey Furnace is a ranger-led hike that you must sign up in advance for - the day before during peak season. There is a fee and trust me - it's worth it. Very fun and adventurous hike for those who are at least semi-athletic and not afraid of heights. I think this is the best hike in Arches!!

I also agree with Utahtea to take the Shafer Trail up to Canyonlands and do the Mesa Arch. Short, but great views. Another fun, short hike is Elephant Rock.

I'm not familiar with River Canyon Lodge. It is the big place east on the Colorado River? If so, my personal recommendation would to stay in Moab instead. The "resort" I'm thinking of is pretty cheesy, tour bus fare and far away from the Arches, Canyonlands and Moab.

You will have a great time! Trip report!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

The condition of Cottonwood Canyon Road varies depending on how recently it's been scraped and what kind of weather they have had since. I've been on it when it was washboarded as described and 15-20 miles per hour was as fast as you could reasonably drive and, in certain areas, had to drive slower. I've also been on it when 35-40 mph was entirely reasonable.

Its a much shorter driver than the highway but, as has been noted in the past, can take as much time.

The other caution everyone should be aware of is that it is not the best raod to be on when rain is expected-it can get slick and muddy in places. Except during those times, it is passable with a normal passenger car. As always on backcountry roads in the southwest, inquire locally before using it.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:21 AM

I agree with the multitude advices about delicate arch, but perhaps in the late afternoon to have nice colors.
That let you the beginning of the day for Dead Horse at sunrise, which is nice...
In island of the sky district, we have made last summer the upvehal dome
hike : it's 5-6 hours long : you have to
go down to the canyon, walk all around the dome and walk up by another part..
Not so difficult, very beautiful and
with a wild atmosphere...There are a lot of variety of hikes, more or less difficult...and it will be the goal of a future vacation...I think there are 2 interesting moderate hikes and not too long : the upvehal dome(but on the top...) and the "whale hike"...
In Arches, there is also some other hikes which are nice(around the windows)
and before arriving in devil's garden
an hike which go from some isolated arches like "sand arches"... which is quite nice.
Erik.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Some recommendations for eating in Moab: Center Cafe (one of Utah's best), Bucks (north of town, but not for the veggies), and Moab Brewerey for their pub fare and suds. I also like the Sunset Grill for their views. Bon Appetit.