Search

adventures in moab

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adventures in moab

My husband and I will be in Moab from June 7-10th....camping at Canyonlands in town. Want to do river rafting as well as hiking in Arches National Park plus any other suggestions you may have!
Please give your ideas re best river rafting...probably half day and not TOO wild!! What parks do you suggest we go to. What are the best hikes to do? Need help to figure out the best things to do in the time we have. Going on from there to Bryce for two nights and Zion for three nights. Look forward to your suggestions.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Years ago we did the half day rafting trip out of Moab, but that company is no longer there so can't recommend them. The rafting trip was just right for my husband, me and two young sons. I was so terrified before we went, but it wasn't scary at all and we all had a really great experience!

Hiking Delicate Arch in Arches is my favorite hike. I also like doing Park Avenue, Landscape Arch and walking around the Windows and Double Arch.

Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District Green River Overlook is one of my favorite overlooks. No real hike here. The short 3/4 mile round trip hike to Mesa Arch is another favorite hike. I also like hiking the 2 miles at Grand View Point.

The scenic drive out Hwy 128 to Fisher Towers is beautiful, but that's the same road the rafting trip will take to the drop in point, so you might skip that and just enjoy the bus trip out there.

The Potash Road, Hwy 279 is a beautiful ride along the Colorado River and look for the petroglyphs along the road. If you are not afraid of heights or drop offs, there is the Corona Arch trail. The trail head for Corona Arch is on the Potash Road. Kane Creek is the road on the other side of the river which also has petroglyphs.

In Bryce start out on the Navajo Loop Trail (if it has reopened) and then come back on the Queen Garden's Trail. The combo is a great hike.

In Zion we've never done Angel's Landing, but I hear it's the trail to take if you're not afraid of heights. Our favorite hikes are Riverside Walk, Lower, Middle and Upper Emerald Pools taking the Kayenta trail to the Grotto shuttle bus stop. Weeping Rock and the Canyon Overlook Trail. The Pa'rus trail is a nice walk we always do but we usually have a lot of time in the park.

Not sure what route you had planned to take from Moab to Bryce, but I'd suggest a quick drive though Capitol Reef National Park and driving scenic Hwy 12 from Torrey, Utah to Bryce.

Utahtea
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..that was great info.
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
For the most part I agree with utahtea.

A couple of years ago we went rafting in Moab. It was a few weeks earlier so your trip might be more tame. Ours was fine. Enough to get a feel for it but nothing to worry about. Some people went on the all-day but I figured all-day would be double a half-day. I think it was Moab Adventure Center.

For Arches I would suggest the Delicate Arch hike about an hour or two before sunset. Great sunset. Don't just go to the distant viewpoint.

Also, take the ranger-led Fiery Furnace hike. A lot of fun and nothing difficult.

We didn't just go to Fisher Towers. We hike it. It's very easy and very little elevation change. The great part is that many people go rock climbing and we saw people at the top of the Corkscrew way up. I took photos and they called down their email address.

The Corona Arch hike was my only defeat. I couldn't do a side-slope just before the ladder.

Canyonlands isn't one of my favorite places. However, Mesa Arch is very short and the only arch that you approach at the top.

I preferred Dead Horse Point state park.

In Bryce I would add a very early morning at Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise.

In Zion definitely the Canyon Overlook coming in the east entrance.

Look upon Angel's Landing as two different hikes. I've been to Zion twice. The first time I didn't consider it. The second time we went up to Scouts Lookout which is where most of the people stop. That't about 80% of the way up. It's all uphill and there's a lot of elevation increase. But the trail is smooth and wide and there are no dropoffs.

Make sure you leave early as it get's pretty hot and you're working. When we came down close to noon there were a lot of people just starting to go up. IT WAS HOT.

There are some very worthy sights that are not in national parks.

On the way from Moab towards Bryce.

Gobblin Valley. A fun place with a lot of rock formations. You can crawl all over them.

Lower Calf Creek Falls. Maybe skip this. 2.5 miles each way in the sun but a beautiful waterfall.

Devils Garden Escalente (not Arches). Ten miles down Hole-in-the-Rock Road. Simillar to Gobblin Valley but the formations are larger.

Willis Creek. If you haven't seen a slot canyon this is a very easy hike. The only adventure is the 12 mile drive south of Cannonville about 15 miles before reaching Bryce turnoff.

If you go to Willis Creek, you're in the slots within minutes of starting the walk/hike. Go thru at least 4 or 5 slots as they get taller as you go. A very level walk.

Lastly. I'm not brave and I'm getting up in years. Basically I'm non-stop but I only do easy.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of information on Utah rafting: http://www.utah.com/raft/rivers/green.htm
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:02 PM

I am a little confused by your statement of Camping in town at Canyonlands???????? personally, I would probably camp in Arches and then a night in Goblin Valley. Find a campsite away from all lights as the night sky in Utah is amazing.

www.deserthighlights.com is my very favorite adventure in Utah. They do some pack-rafting trips as well.

BTW, I just returned from my 5th trip to Utah last night.

We hiked Delicate Arch at 6:00AM this time and I think I enjoyed it more in the morning than at sunset. Just us and a couple of other hikers, so you can linger under the arch as long as you want to, plus you don't have to return in the dark. The big plus is that it is much much much cooler. The temperature is a big consideration since this trail offers no shade at all.

Myer and Utahtea have great ideas. I really like Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse Canyon that is only 10 minutes away from there. I decided to go see Devils Garden this past weekend in Escalante based on Myers advise. Turned out to be very cool to see. There is also a Devils Garden in Arches that is a nice hike as well.

Myer mentions that he does only easy. Angels Landing and Delicate Arch trail aren't easy trails.

Utahtea- The wall street side of the Navajo Loop trail was open this past weekend when we went.

I will post my photos of my trip on here in the next few days, btw.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM

spirolbulldog,

There is a private campground in the town of Moab called Canyonlands. I got curious and looked it up! There is another thread by sueger and they are traveling with a tent trailer. I assume they want hook ups. If they have air-conditioning, they are probably going to want electricity in Moab in the summer! I do love to camp in Arches!

Thanks for the info on Navajo Loop!

Utahtea
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
spiro,

Interesting to hear about your trip.

There's a difference between difficult and strenuous.

There's nothing difficult about the Delicate Arch hike or Angel's Landing to scouts Lookout.

However, they are somewhat strenuous. No narrow trails, no drop-offs. Just uphill all the way.