Search

Utah Slot Canyons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Slot Canyons

Hi All~

Hoping to go to Utah in September and have some questions about slot canyons. Always hear Antelope Canyon mentioned and know it requires a guide. Just learned of some other slots near Boulder that can also be done with a guide. I believe Zebra Canyon is one of them.

Any suggestions you can make about which ones to go to or how to plan would be appreciated. We'll have a group of 5 adults so could do a group trip with a guide. Senior women who may not want to hike a long distance or in tough situations.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Where will you be staying? Willis Creek is a very easy slot canyon. We went on our own so I'm not sure if there are any guided tours there. There's an uphill sandy stretch of road to get to the trail head.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 08:20 PM

There are so many slot canyons all over the place. Where will you be based? And how hard is too hard??
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Upper Antelope is very manageable as it is flat all the way through and the tour is driven right to the entrance. It is not an isolated experience, as numerous groups enter it at the same time, and it does not offer time for contemplation. It is best to reserve for the middle of the day when more sunlight enters the canyon.

https://flic.kr/p/uTA4Fv
https://flic.kr/p/uR1cZE
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

After staying Moab and Mesa Verde, we'll take Rt 95 to Torrey, Rt 12 to Bryce. We could stay over a night in either Boulder or Escalente, if we were going to do extensive slot canyons, but think we'll probably just go straight to Bryce.

"how hard is too hard??" Hmm, good question. Don't want to feel we're getting stuck and probably 2-3 miles. I'd be up for something longer, but have a feeling my friends may be a bit tired of hiking by then or rocked out. So I guess something shorter rather than longer, but not sure if there's anything nearby that would fit that description. A big concern I had last time I was there was driving on some of the back roads. Most likely will have a regular car and I know that's not great for some roads.

I had looked at coming through Page, where Antelope Canyon is, but it was quite out of the way and tours looked crowded. Would prefer less people but don't want to get lost.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Antelope Canyon is a zoo--people packed in like crazy. And the Reservation may still be closed in September. Escalante has slot canyons--Peekaboo is really cool. Willis Creek is supposed to be easy and really interesting. You could search for a guide in Escalante or Boulder. I haven't used one in that area. Google search for slot canyons Esclante and see what you find! One of my favorites is Little Wildhorse Canyon--outside of Torrey. REally easy and fun!
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 06:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Walking out from the parking area to Landscape Arch in Arches NP, you will be walking through a slot canyon. You don't have to go far from Moab to see at least one slot canyon. About 25 miles north of Moab, I saw dinosaur tracks molded in stone at Copper Ridge.
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 11:01 AM

If driving Moab to Torrey you are going right past Little Wildhorse Canyon trail mentioned above, maybe five miles off the main road. One you get over the boulder at the entrance the trail is relatively flat and easy. Added bonus is when your done you are right at the entrance to Goblin Valley State Park: https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goblin-valley/