Search

safety of Utah slot canyons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:35 AM
PE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety of Utah slot canyons

My teenage son and I are traveling to southern Utah next August and would like to visit Antelope Canyon. However, I know that 5 years ago they had 13 fatalities there from a flash flood. Even though the weather there was perfect, thunderstorms from several miles away caused the flash flood. Have they taken any safety measures to ensure that won't happen again? I would love to visit the canyon, but am nervous. Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:40 AM

What kind of safety measures would they take? And who are THEY?

What YOU can do: Read the weather reports. Check with the rangers before hiking. Let someone know where you are, where you'll be going, and when you expect to be back.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:31 AM
OliveOyl

I had the same thoughts as Jack. It's a slot canyon and that will always be a (remote) hazard but I sure wouldn't let that stop me. You are taken into Antelope by guides now and I feel certain they keep up with surrounding weather conditions.

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:47 AM

As I recall, the people who died in the flash flood a few years ago were warned by a Native American guide that it wasn't safe. The guide had heard thunder, but his warning was disregarded.

I'd always be a little nervous visiting the canyon, because that's the way I am, but if my guide told me it was safe to go in, I'd believe him.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM

There are two sections of Antelope Canyon. The lower where the deaths occurred now has ladders permanently mounted. The upper canyon which most visitors go to is several hundred feet long and is a flat easy walk.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:13 AM
PE
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I feel much better now. Jack, by THEY I meant guides. I have already read enough on the canyon to know that you are not allowed to just go there by yourself, that you have to have a Navajo guide or a guide from Page. Thanks again everybody!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:18 PM

I just did the upper Antelope tour 2 weeks ago, and I can tell you there's no danger whatsoever!

You can only go there with a Navajo guide and they won't go if there's any risk of storm in the area!

The people who died were in the Lower Antelope, where there is no guide. There had been a flood in the morning of the day they wanted to go and the Navajo warned them not to go in the afternoon as more storms were forecasted. They did not listen to the guides and went anyway ...

So go ahead and book a tour!

That place is magical! And don't forget to take a tripod with you if you want really good pictures
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM

Wow, August will be hot!!! There are wonderful slots near Escalante if you have 4wd and are free and less visited. Antelope is a group gathering - beautiful but crowded at times. I saw it in early May and went with the Navajo Tours folks. They have a website and info. Summer can be hazardous due to the thunderstorms, as you know. Check the website at www.americansouthwest.net for many slot canyons. Have fun and be careful!!