Utah parks - enough days in each?

Sep 24th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Utah parks - enough days in each?

Hello all - Below is my itinerary for Utah (Zion, Bryce, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon) and later Vegas. My original plan was to allot 3 nights (2.5 days for Zion) and 1 day/1 night each for Bryce, Antelop Canyon, Grand Canyon. Do you think I am giving enough days for each park? I guess my main concern is if we stay in Zion for 3 nights, we will not giving enough time for the others. And if it ends up snowing, some trails in Zion may be closed and we will be "stuck" there (although it is a great place to be stuck). I have heard from a few friends that Zion deserves the most time but would like to hear all of your opinions. Thanks!

Tue Land 1050am, get car, drive to Zion, stay in Springdale
Wed Zion - emerald pools, stay in Springdale
Thu Zion OR drive to bryce at night/stay bryce? stay in Springdale OR Bryce
Fri Bryce (if time allows, Anasazi State Park, GS Escalante), stay near Bryce
Sat Antelope Canyon, stay in Page
Sun Grand Canyon SOUTH RIM, stay near Grand Canyon
Mon head to Vegas & spend 2 days there
Sep 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Antelope Canyon is a guided tour which can be included in travel from one point to another. It is recommended that your reserve for a mid-day tour for the best colors. From Bryce to Page it is only 2.5 hours according to Google map, so you should be able to tour Antelope Canyon (just 7 miles out of Page) and continue towards the Grand Canyon.
Sep 24th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I agree with Michael that Antelope Canyon can be a quick stop, probably less than 2 hours total, but you would want to leave Bryce by 10 to11AM to be there when the sun is fairly high in the sky and don't bother to stop if it is overcast.

One night in Grand Canyon should be enough unless you hike a lot and you'll be entering from the east, so can stop at the wonderful viewpoints on the way in.

Make reservations that can be cancelled/changed without penalty if the weather does not cooperate.
Sep 25th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

I'm analyzing my itinerary more and wondering if we should:
(A) spend 3 nights in Springdale (2.5 days in Zion) and drive to Bryce in the morning (arrive late morning/noon), hike/hang out, and spend 1 night in Bryce .... OR....
(B) spend 2 nights in Springdale (2.5 days in Zion) and drive to Bryce in early evening, spend 2 nights in Bryce.
Thoughts?
Sep 25th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Either plan would be fine as long as you leave early enough to avoid driving on those curvy roads that large animals want to use too after dark.