Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you do Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Caynonland in 5 1/2 days

Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are traveling late September to Vegas and we want to travel to all 4 parks is it possible and really get the best there is to see of each park. Any ideas would be welcome.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM

Short answer...no. Canyonlands is the problem...too far for you to get the "best there is to see" of all the parks.

It would probably be best to limit your time to Zion and Bryce in the short time you have. It all depends on if you plan on any hiking. I'd probably drive right to Bryce and drive to the overlooks while you acclimate to the elevation. Spend the night there and hike into the canyon ("the best there is") the next day then another night there. Return to Zion for the next two nights and hike there (Angel's Landing or at least to Scout's Overlook, Canyon Overlook, The Narrows) "the best there is") before the 2.5 hour drive back to Vegas.

If you're just driving and not hiking at all then you could spend just one night in Bryce and add a night at Torrey (Cap. Reef) then return to Zion from there. Not my style but doable.

Better to slow down and enjoy what you can do
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Define 'do'. In 5.5 days I'd say it is possible to do a decent job of seeing one of them. But then the average visitor to the Grand Canyon South Rim spends something like 12 minutes actually at the Rim and looking into the canyon while taking the obligatory snap shots. Clearly they feel that is enough time to 'do' the Grand Canyon so who am I to disagree.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Yes it's possible! In fact we saw Capital Reef, Zion & Bryce in ONE DAY (yes all three in 1 DAY) and had no problem seeing the great views and getting a flavor for each park.

Now it wasn't how we planned it. We had plans to spend 6 days touring but the day we flew into Salt Lake City I had an issue and needed to get home ASAP. We canceled all our reservations and the only flight we could get was out of Las Vegas the following day. So in one day I drove from SLC to LV and made quickie pit stops in each of the parks & have the photos to prove it

I say 5 1/2 days would be a breeze...
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Sure, if you're just wanting to "checklist" parks and take a picture of yourself by the park entrance sign then by all means...heck add Canyonlands back to the list as well as Monument Valley and Grand Canyon as well!
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Have you been to Arches National Park? I rank it right up there with Zion and Bryce, perhaps even above them.

I would stick with just Bryce/Zion or Arches/Canyonlands.

There is a ton of other spots to visit around Cap Reef. Goblin Valley, Little Wildhorse, Escalante, Calf Creek Falls, Detached section of Canyonlands Horseshoe Canyon/Great Gallery, etc.
You could easily spend your entire 5 days in that area too.

I have been to Utah every year for the past 5 or 6 years now(sometimes twice in a year). It's addicting. I have taken the time to do each park right and not just zip through them.
You will enjoy it more if you hike to several scenic spots, horseback, raft, canyoneering, etc. Speaking of Canyoneering-It is my very favorite thing in UT.

A person could also say they spent 2 hours in Disneyworld and saw it, when in fact it takes 4 or 5 days there too. About the same thing in my mind. Plus, if you try to do all that your not going to be doing anything but driving. Now, if you aren't able to walk/hike, raft,horseback ride, are in a wheelchair or something like that(I still wouldn't suggest going as fast) then that might be different.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM

NJriverchick,

You may have seen great views, but you didn't see Peekabo Loop, Navajo, Queens Garden trail in Bryce. You didn't see The Narrows, Rim Trail, Emerald Pools, or Angels Landing at Zion. YOu probably didn't experience an eveing meal at the lodge and a picnic underneath the big tree out front of Zion Lodge. You didn't see Hickman Bridge, pick fruit in the orchards, or have pie at Gifford House in Capitol Reef. You may think you saw it, but you didn't. You might consider a return trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM

I have hiked pretty much all the major trails(dayhikes) in the western US national parks. Peterboy is right. The Narrows and Angels Landing are "the best". Certainly both in my top 5.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We have decided to extend it to 7 days to try and get most out of Vacation.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM

spirobulldog - I know, it's sad & very true. I didn't experience those parks at all...in fact I was so numb and distracted about getting home that I didnt enjoy any of it. it's not how we like to travel.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM

With 7 days
1-2 days in Zion
1 day Bryce
2 days Hwy 12, Escalante(Devil's Garden), Calf Creek Falls, Capitol Reef, Little Wildhorse Canyon, Goblin Valley(don't miss the Goblin's).
2-3 days in Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Still might not be a bad idea with 7 days to cut out some things
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
jfletcher2112,
Is there a reason you've omitted Arches NP?

How are you counting 7 days? Does that include day of arrival and departure?

Is there a chance to omit Las Vegas and arrive and leave thru Salt Lake City? Or arrive in one and depart from the other and accept drop-off auto charges.

If you have 7 full days and don't have to drive all the way back to Las Vegas from Moab then spiro's provided you with a good plan.

I'm not sure I would include Canyonlands. Arches has much more, better and I would go to Fisher Towers ahead of Canyonlands. For me the only draw to Canyonlands is Dead Horse Point State Park and enough time.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to concentrate on Bryce and Zion to get the best experience. Thank you to everyone who comment it was a great help
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM

I think that'a a great idea. This way you won't rush and should airlines be delayed half a day or something, then you schedule is totally out of whack. Probably the later you go the better off you will be for temps. Might even get some fall color in the higher elevations(not sure-I know the lower elevations are probably mid-oct)