Zion to Antelope Canyon

Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion to Antelope Canyon

We are 5 mature adults, planning a trip late September for some moderate hiking and sightseeing. We have eight days and 7 nights from Las Vegas and back. Our itinerary is as follows..... Zion NP, Vermilion Cliffs, Page, Antelope Canyon, Buckskin Canyon, and Painted Dessert. I would love to hear opinions about the itinerary with respect to how long we should plan in each area. Also, is there some other "must see" we would be missing while in these areas?
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:36 PM

Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon are must sees
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:34 PM

Agree with WhereAreWe. You could spend a day each in Bryce, Grand Canyon, and Page/Antelope Canyon. Horseshoe Bend is also in Page. Plan for at least 2 full days in Zion, possibly 3. Painted Desert is off the typical loop done from LV that includes the other places you have mentioned. Based on the fact you only have 8 days, it may be better to just drop it for another trip and spend your time in the other places.

Another suggestion to throw in the mix that is closer than Painted Desert is Monument Valley. But again, I think you already have plenty to keep you busy in that short amount of time.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 04:33 AM

You've received some great advice - skip Painted Desert and be sure to add Bryce. If you haven't been to Grand Canyon yet, it would be a shame to miss it. Painted Desert is pretty but out of the way and isn't as unique a landscape as Bryce and GC.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 04:38 AM

Forgot to mention that the hiking in Bryce is incredible. We've been to Bryce a couple of times, the latest just last September with friends who've never been to the national parks in Utah. Bryce was their favorite - especially the full Queens Garden/Navajo Loop. Really spectacular and not too difficult. Don't skip Bryce.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. I was trying to stay in northern part of AZ. We have hiked Bryce, did many parks in UT at the time and have also hiked the southern rim of GC... south Kaibab down, Bright Angel back up 3yrs ago. Is there anything worth hiking on the north rim or eastern part of GC?
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

What do people think of Monument Valley or Buckskin Gulch?...for hiking?
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM

For Buckskin Gulch I would recommend a day hike from Wire Pass. Use the Wire Pass access to get to Buckskin, then hike down the canyon as much as you care to. Access to this spot is via House Rock Vally Road. You can get to the road via HWY 89 from the north or HWY 89a from the south. Note House Rock Vally Road is impassable when wet.

Note that the Wire Pass trailhead is also the entry point for North Coyote Buttes. I suggest you apply for the lottery for it on the web. You can also apply in person at the Kanab Ranger station (for the next day) if you happen to be there. September can still be a little hot for Coyote Buttes though so watch out. Once you are in Buckskin Gulch it should be cool.

There are three park stations for info for this area. There is a small BLM site where the Paria River crosses HWY 89, which is only open on certain days. There is a larger site at Big Water toward Page. The third one is the station in Kanab. It is best to check the weather at one of the ranger stations before hiking into Buckskin Gulch.

For day hikes into Buckskin Gulch you need a day pass available at the trail head. For overnights you need a special camping permit.

I'm not sure what you mean by Vermilion Cliffs but they are an impressive site along HWY 89a driving west between Lee's Ferry toward House Rock Valley Road or the North Rim. I'm not aware of any good hiking there though. At Lee's Ferry you could day hike up Paria Canyon though and there are some historical sites there.

Monument Valley is great for part of a day but there is not much hiking there. You are not allowed to venture off the main loop road. There are LOTS of hikes on Cedar Mesa not far to the north of there. Google "Cedar Mesa Hiking" for more info.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM

Re: MikeS - entry point for North Coyote Buttes.
Mike is correct on lottery, but I'll add one item. The lottery is held at the Vermillion BLM office in Kanab on highway 89
Ten passes are given given daily. At least 100 people per day, from around a world, are there each morning for the pass valid the NEXT day. The prize is: THE WAVE - Google it.

Vermillion Cliffs. No permit required, but 4-WD on sandy road is necessary. Visit geological nightmare White Pocket - Google it.

Lee's Ferry - Highly recommend hiking up strenuous Spencer Trail whose trailhead is located up river past the historic site. GPS N36 51.965 W111 34.795. Fabulous views at the top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg9JyuycHMs

If you turn left at the top, drop down the very steep canyon at the towers GPS N36 52.889 W111 35.234. Then meander east to an access trail down to the Paria River at GPS 36 53.678 W 111 36.779. Then south to Lonely Dell. While the above seems easy, it is NOT=NOT, but worth the trip.

There is an improved (water)campground at Lee's ferry or drive west on highway 89a past Marble Canyon lodge to a large BLM parking lot at MP 539.5

VC is absolutely spectacular. I've spent at least three weeks there and plan to go back in Sept. My recommended hiking book for the entire area is, of course, Kelsey's 'Hiking and Exploring the Paria River - 4th Edition'. Caution: multiply his hiking time by 1.25 to 1.35.

Vaga
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 09:27 PM

Ooops
I wrote " Then meander east to an access trail down to the Paria..."
I meant toward the west. East returns you to Lee's Ferry passing some petrified wood.

There are AC power lines going westward from Lee's Ferry.
Each pole has a number printed on it Petrified wood is found between posts poles 8 and 9 along an old mining road. These are located near the top of the hill as viewed from Lee's Overlook. Please do not take a single sliver - leave it for the next guy to cherish.

Don't ask the Rangers about this wood, they don't know where it is located.

Vaga

Vaga.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mike and Vaga for the info. Mike the video you listed was great.