Utah - Park city and Deer Valley trails

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. At the end of the month, we are going out west skiing for the first time.

I have read a lot about the different Utah resorts, and have narrowed it down to Park City and Deer Valley. Was wondering if anyone had any specific trail recommendations (or ones to avoid?!)

I am either an advanced beginner or beginner-intermediate skier. I just learned to parallel last year. I don't fall (much) and when I do, I can now get back up in less than 5 mins. I do not set any speed records coming down the mountain (understatement). Steep parts freak me out. I can ski (east coast Poconos) greens and most blues (although I don't like the steeper ones). As you might have guessed, mogels are out of the question!

Any recommendations for me?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

Deer Valley is for you. Lots and lots of groomed green/blue terrain. No snowboarders zooming past you. The runs in the middle of the mountain near the lodges are most crowded, especially around lunch time and end of day.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM

You will be fine on the greens at either resort. I'd check each morning with the mountain hosts to get a grooming map. A blue groomed last night can be very different from one groomed last month.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. padadam - you nailed one thing I hate as a beginner skier - snowboarders or other skiers flying too close past me. It's not that I mind snowboarders v. skiers, it's that the snowboarders make more "noise" and sound like they are going to plow right into me, even when they are in total control.

Do you think I should attempt the Utah blues?

(What a name for a band...Karen and the Utah blues)
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

Hi Karen,

You'll be fine on all the green and some of the blues. As the others said, check the grooming report in the morning and keep a trail map with you. Usually the resorts have the groomed runs marked on signs/chalkboards at the bottoms of the lifts.

Note that in Utah, many blues = East Coast greens. Our skiing is overall more challenging, BUT our snow is so nice that it makes things easier!

Have fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Deer Valley often has staff at the big trail maps when you get off the lifts. When I was there last week, I asked which runs were "easy blues" and got very good advice from the DV personnel. You tell them what you want to ski, and they'll really try to help you.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM

We've only been to Deer Valley once, and we loved it. The slopes never get *really* crowed because of the limit on tickets sales. It might be the same with Park City, but I can't say since I've never been.

But DV was great, and I am a blue-run skier myself (even after decades of skiing, won't do a black diamond). I think you would like it.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM

We are going to Deer Valley in early February and I am little concerned to read that they limit ticket sales. Does this mean get there early to get your lift ticket or can they be ordered ahead of time? Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Hi Ronda -

I didn't mean to cause alarm. I don't know when you're going in February, but I would think the only really crowded time that month with a risk of sell-out is President's day weekend (the same with almost any ski resort). If you ARE going during President's weekend, you might check out their website and see if you can order in advance.

Our one trip to DV was during New Year's time, which is a bad time for a lot of ski resorts. But I didn't feel too crowded at DV.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Going the first week in February in order to miss the President's Weekend crush.

Did some research and found I can buy discount tickets for Deer Valley at Canyon Sports in SLC (www.canyonsports.com) for $70. You buy a voucher at their store which you then exchange for a ticket but you still have to get there early.

I called the hotel we will be staying at. They sell regular priced tickets for Deer Valley but you still have to be one of the first 6,000. The gal said that she has never had anyone come back and say they could not get in.

Would be nice if you could buy advance tickets for a specific day. Any info on that?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Rhonda,

You can buy tickets in the afternoon for the next day's skiing at the ticket offices.

I would check with DV on multiple day tickets if you are only going to ski there and skip the other 2 areas. Multi day tickets are usually much less than the $70 price you mentioned.

Yes, people who plan to ski DV during Christmas holidays, MLK weekend, President's weekend, Easter should buy in advance or get there early. And EARLY means no later than 9am.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks, Dale. Good idea on the multi day tickets. I will check into that.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:18 AM

You can get DV tickets in advance by fax. We just did this for a recent trip there. Fax the form to DV and they'll fax back a confirmation form. Take the form to the ticket counter when you get there and they'll have your passes ready for you.
http://www.deervalley.com/skiing/lif...order-form.jsp