Utah National Parks VS. Grand Canyon

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Utah National Parks VS. Grand Canyon

Hello! We will be in Las Vegas for 5 days (conference) in June then heading out to Utah &/or Arizona to see some natural beauty. After looking at the extensive drive distances/times, wondering if you had to choose between trying to fit in maybe just Bryce Canyon & Grand Canyon, or just Utah parks like Bryce (been to Zion already), Canyonlands, Arches &/or Capitol Reef Nat'l parks which would you choose?

Is Grand Canyon (never been) so worth it as to skip all Utah parks but Bryce? Or should we just concentrate on Utah?

Thanks so much for any opinions!

Stephanie
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Stephie,

The key here is how many days you have after the conference?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:35 AM

You can go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is about a 3-4 hour drive from Bryce, I think (we drove from Zion so I'm a little unclear). As Dayle said, however, it depends on how much time you have.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We will have a tad less than 5 full days. We tentatively will set out on a Wed. evening about 5pm from Vegas heading E. into Arizona and spend the night a few hours out (Williams?) from the Grand Canyon, putting us I'm guessing about 2-2.5 hrs. drive from GC the next morning. Then we'll have all day Thurs. thru Mon. morning to see the GC plus whatever else we could fit in. I see on this website that you can see the entire S. rim of the canyon in 1 day.

We have a 6:50pm flight out of Vegas on Mon. I think we've decided on NOT missing the GC, but wonder what else we can conceivably fit in before heading back to Vegas to fly out.

I appreciate your help and opinions!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Have been to all the Parks mentioned, and if you have not been to the Grand Canyon, then this should be the one to go to. Have short video clips & pics of all at our personal web site at http://two-friends-travels.com/ if you wish to compare. I liked the Arches area also but if you go there take a few days as there is much to see in the area.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Grand Canyon is great - everyone should have an opportunity to see it. I think after 2 days you'd have your fill. How about heading to Sedona? It is really gorgeous.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:16 AM

You really don't have time for Arches, Canyonlands or Capitol Reef, especially if you do the Grand Canyon.

It sounded like you had your heart set on Bryce, after the Grand Canyon I'd head north to Page, AZ...maybe do Antelope Slots Canyon tour then head to Bryce. You might enjoy driving back to Las Vegas thought Zion...but I wouldn't try to do to much else with your short time.

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Unless you're really hikers, one day at the GC South Rim should be enough. I'd definitely follow Utahtea's advice and head for Bryce and then back to Vegas through Zion. But if you don't have your heart set on the South Rim, I'll repeat my suggestion to do the North Rim of the Grand Canyon--it would make seeing Bryce and Zion a lot easier. I liked the North Rim better, probably because we were lucky enough to get a western cabin. We could sit on our front porch and see a little of the canyon in the distance. It was also a little less congested than the South Rim. But others (including some of my own relatives) prefer the South Rim.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM

We ADORE Bryce; it is fantastic;the colors, the hiles, the ranger talks, &the mule ride was extra special. Arches is our second favorite but too far for you. you could go to the North rim of the GC; its a long ride; I think you cannot get tthe scope of the GC and it therefore is my least favorite; the others are up close and persoanl;.MC
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much for your experiences and advice! Our plan is now set, leave Vegas, stay in Seligman (I know, but we will leave Vegas around 5 and don't want to drive 5 1/2 hrs. that night.) We'll get up early and finish the drive to the GC, stay there one night (S. rim, Maswik Lodge) then head to Page, stay there 2 nights and get in a smoothwater raft trip, then head to Bryce early to enjoy it for about a day and a 1/2 then head back to Vegas thru Zion - been there already but will surely enjoy drive thru it.

Thanks Again!

Steph
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM

You'll enjoy the Colorado Float Trip. You should also have enough time that day to do either the Antelope Slot Canyon Tour or do the short hike to Horseshoe Bend.

Utahtea
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, we are the kind of family that tries to cram in as much as possible, so we will take your recommendation for trying to fit in a hike or the slot canyons as you suggested. I'm so excited, this is SO my kind of vacation (aside from the beginning part in Vegas.) I love mountains, wide open spaces, nature and hikes - the contrast from Vegas will be stark and awesome!

I appreciate your advice, and I've seen your vacation pictures - thanks for sharing!

Stephanie