Utah National Parks

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Connie

Utah National Parks

Where are the very narrow canyons that are seen often in commercials. Right now, I see it in some sort of allergy medicine commercial?

We've never been to the the Utah national parks and are planning a trip for later this summer.

Thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:22 PM
OliveOyl

Slot canyons. Two I know of are Wall Street in Bryce, and the narrows in Zion.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Been ther

Escalante has a lot of slot canyons similar to those in the commerials. Zion is a different color.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Becky

Antelope Canyon, just outside Page, AZ near Lake Powell.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Connie

Thanks!

I thought I was on the right track with Bryce and Zion. We'll check out Escalante too.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:02 PM
rqf

There are five major national parks in Utah - Arches, Canyonland, CApitol REef, Bryce and Zion. If you travel about 350 miles east to west you could visit all five. TWo national monuments are Escalante (near CApitol Reef) and Cedar BReaks near BRyce. All five parks are different.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Dayle

Most of the slot canyons are in the Escalante area. Bryce has no slot canyons. Zion Narrows does get quite narrow too.

Be extremely aware that you cannot go into Zion Narrows or other slot canyons if there is a threat of thunderstorms (frequent in late Jul & August). The rain doesn't even have to be where you are. Check with rangers prior to going in.

Also, most of the slot canyons require some rock climbing/rappeling (SP?) & gear. If you are just visiting, go with a guide company - a very good one!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:53 AM
RB

Here's an interesting website with information on SW slot canyons:
http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/
As Dayle points out, slot canyons can be tricky, due to the potential for rapid water during rain storms. The web site above has good links for more information. I'd like to do a trip focusing specifically on slot canyons- as you can see by the shots on the web site, they are special places.
Have fun on your trip this summer!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Connie

Thanks again!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Connie

The ad was shot in Antelope Canyon which is 3 miles out side of Page, Arizonia. Get there by 12 noon for the light stream to come straight down into the canyon for maximum effect and lighting. Shoot at F11 or F16 - no flash.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Kat

Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ is pretty cool and the slot canyon you see in most pictures. Its in the 4 corners area and there are plenty of other things to do there-Lake Powell, Monument Valley. We did a day trip there driving from Arches to Bryce and it was worth it!