Utah Parks - Moab, Zion, or Bryce? Which one?

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Parks - Moab, Zion, or Bryce? Which one?

My wife and I will have a few days this summer while traveling through Utah (South to north). We've seen so many good things about all of the National Parks, but do not have much idea of which ones to see. Unfortunately, we have to limit ourselves to just a day or two bc of time constraints.

What do we like? We enjoy hiking - light or streneous, doesn't matter - and taking lots of pictures. We'll probably only have two nights in one place (just enough for a full day).

Any suggestions where to go (Moab, Bryce, or Zion - or somewhere else), on what to see and, what to do (which hikes would be most scenic?). (We're in good shape, so we can tackle the ups and downs).

Thanks for any help on this very broad question.

Roger
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:14 PM

If I had to make that choice based on your interests, I would choose Zion. In truth I have not been to Moab but have been to the other 2 parks.

Bryce is really intriguing but Zion would be my choice for what it's worth.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM

I would go with Zion and make sure one of the hikes was the Narrows.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM

i've never been to moab but been to the other two. there is no way you should ever pass up on bryce. when i was in the southwest i enjoyed it even more than grand canyon (even though the two are very diff types of beauty)bryce is not very strenous bc it isnt tremendous. the desert beauty is amazing and you are so up close and personal. zion is more green beauty, which can be found in other places. enjoy
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I've been to Zion and Bryce only, and my first choice would be Bryce, of course! It was amazing! Very unusual, haven't seen anything like it! Very delicate if I may say so. Like an ancient city growing up from a canyon floor.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I'd say Bryce or Zion. Flip a coin, they're both spectacular.

In addition to the coin, though, I'd probably suggest Zion unless you can get a room at the Bryce lodge. Zion has more non-park options for lodging.

Zion will be a bit warmer, but you'll have lots of shade and a fair amount of water.

It's paradise.

I'd suggest the narrows hike, at least as far as a bit past the beginning of the actual narrows. Walking sticks are a must!

[Bryce is like nothing you'll ever see, though, so your choice really should come down to lodging]
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Very odd-I posted quite a lengthy reply to this earlier and it has disappeared!
It's not possible to do the two parks in the Moab area in a day, and it will be blisteringly hot in summer. Save that for when you have more time and in spring or fall. Zion will be mobbed and also hot-again, better in the off season.
Bryce will be cool and most people there tend to just stop at the scenic viewpoints before moving on-it's very easy to get away from crowds there even if you do just a short hike (the park website can help you choose one). Also, you can "do" Bryce in two nights without feeling like you gypped yourselves.
After Bryce, you can head north on Hwy 12, a beautiful drive over the cool, aspen covered mountains. Stop at the lovely Calf Creek Falls, a short hike east of Escalante just off the hwy(lots of info on the web). If you have a little more time, you could easily stop at Capitol Reef NP before continuing north.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:04 PM

other posters right about bryce - down in the canyon will be cooler but i have to vote for moab you have not only arches which has low key hikes to really incredible sites you can do a quite float on the river. you have more accomodation options as well as dining. you can also hit canyonlands while there, petro glyphs etc. scenic drive thru the La Sals. I just think there is more to do in moab but if you are only thinking hiking zion's got some great day hikes and has some variation from the slick rock utah scenary. Angel's Landing WOW, also the Narrows. Bryce prefer horses to do the work! and arches, tons of trail, hike to delicate arch or many other vistas. there is no place like utah for hiking.enjoy
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I've been to all the parks in Utah. With the time you have, I'd say spend two nights in Zion.

The day you leave drive by Bryce and at least go to a couple overlooks and drive Hwy 12 and Hwy 24 & Hwy 50 back to I-15.

No matter which park you choose, you will have a great experience.

As christy1 said, save Moab area for when you have several days to explore the area.

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Hi Roger,

I've been to all the parks multiple times since I live in Utah.

Moab - you would want at least 3 or 4 days.

Zion fine for a day to see the highlights, but will be very hot - 100+.

Bryce is at 8,000 ft. - weather in summer is near perfect, about mid-80's with a nice afternoon breeze at the top. Hiking down among the hoodoos would be a little warmer.

You will want to come back again anyway, maybe let the weather make your choice this time?

Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM

This is an agonizing question to anyone who has been to all these places.

I'll eliminate Moab right away since only spending one day in that area would be the most serious injustice. You could spend a lifetime there and still find new sights and adventures. A most worthy destination but one day would only be frustrating.

It is then a toss up between Bryce and Zion. This is still too dificult since they are both unique and well worth at least a full day.

If I had only one full day and had to choose, I guess I'd have to say that you should go to Zion and hike up to the top of Angel's Landing. If you can keep a handle on your vertigo you should be able to make it. I couldn't but even the hike up there was "off the charts"

Here's a picture of AL to give you an idea:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/34706139/large

The trai leads up that knife edge to the flat "landing" in the upper right of the shot.

If, like me, you aren't up for the chalenge, you can continue up the west rim for a while into the yellow rocks and get great views of the valley before returning to the valley floor. Then a hike into the narrows will cool you off.

Honestly, you can't miss with either Bryce or Zion but Moab and its attendant spectacularness deserves more than a single day.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM

My suggestion would be to visit Zion first and for a couple of days/nights. Then drive past Bryce - just seeing it is worth the trip, spending the night here or continuing up to Torrey to see Capitol Reef Natl Park. It's lesser known but wonderful national park. Hit the Diablo Cafe for dinner -- really great!

Definitely, leave Moab (Canyonlands & Arches NPs) for another trip and cooler time of year.