Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

USS Constitution - Visitors to Boston don't miss this!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a lifelong resident of the Boston area and had never visited the USS Constitution - the oldest commissioned naval vessel in the world. This despite driving by it on a regular basis and having a personal connection to it as my granddad worked on restoring the vessel. This lapse was rectified on Mother's Day when my family and I went to the Charlestown Naval Shipyard and finally toured "Ole Ironsides".

What a great experience. The ship is beautiful, and the sailors that are stationed on her give a great tour - filled with all sorts of interesting and somewhat gory details. My daughters are 7 and 10 and loved the tour. The guides are sailors in the US Navy. Visiting the ship is free as is the small museum that is nearby.

Security was pretty tight so be prepared to go through a metal detector and to have your bags searched. The sailors are very thorough and also very pleasant.

Don't miss this great national treasure on your trips to Boston. And fellow Bostonians - if you haven't gone yet make sure you do soon. You won't regret it.

Old May 14th, 2003, 08:21 AM

To elaborate on this,Bunker hill is a short walk from the Constitution and you pass thru charlestown. A very nice walk and lots of history. Not far from there is the Warren Tavern, good place to get a drink. This is all part of the freedom trail. There is also a WW2 cruiser at the naval shipyard.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Freedom Trail tours are free and offered by the parks department. You can also follow the trail on your own. The tour is worth doing. The walk over to Bunker Hill nad the Constitution are not on the guided part of the tour but well worth the extra walking.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:08 AM

There is a ferry service that leaves from near the Aquarium (and near Fleet Center on weekdays) that stops at the NavyYards a few piers away from Old Ironsides. I think the fare is $1.25 The other ship, also a free tour, is a destroyer, and you'll see a lot more spaces than you will on the Constitution.

You will not be allowed on the Constitution if you have ANY prohibited item. One man had a 2.5" penknife and was not allowed on. They will allow you to (permenently) give up your "contraband" if you so desire, if going aboard is important to you. There's virually no security on the destroyer, DD-793 USS CASSIN YOUNG.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Yes it truly is a gem in Boston and not sure why more visitors (and locals) don't see it.

We have some family history as well, my 2 Great Great Uncles (who fought on opposite sides in the Civil War), worked on the building of the monument. My Grandmother who grew up in the area, and her best friend used to play with their dolls at the base and the GG Uncles helped raise the top of the statue.

Wish I knew more family history but thought this was interesting.

The weekend is on the way, everyone have a good one.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Anyone visiting Boston on the Fourth of July should plan to see Old Ironsides turn around in the harbor. It is quite a sight! If you are driving, you can go to the festivities at the Charlestown Navy Yard and watch them send it off and then drive over to Castle Island in South Boston and watch it sail out of the channel into the Harbor, turn around and come back in. On one occasion we were fortunate to see it with all the sails unfurled. Just wonderful! It is always accompanied by many other boats during this event.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Although born and raised in Boston I have never yet been to Bunker Hill...but we have to the Constitution.. Last year we went on a Duck Tour...learned more about Boston than I could imagine..Have seen the turning around of the Constitution and it's salute...very exciting and proud.